Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 v7 -Unable to connect to database

7 replies [Last post]
Christopher Amores
User offline. Last seen 11 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

Good day!

I encountered this problem a few times. On other PC's when I installed P6 v7 stand alone, it won't start. After I input the password it does not start the program but gives a message "Unable to connect to database.". In one laptop I installed it a few weeks ago and it run perfectly then sudddenly today it didn't and showed the message "Unable to connect to database.". Does anybody have this experience and if so, is there a solution?

Chris

Replies

Jeremy Fearnsides
User offline. Last seen 11 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All, 

I am trying to connect P6 v 7.0 to MS SQL. I've tried various things but have had no success. When installed as Standalone with Oracle XE then it works fine but cannot get onto MSQL using the PMDB. 

I have tried a custom installation just to connect to MS SQL without connecting XE Oracle again no connection. 

Previous versions, for example, P6 v 6.2.1 etc... came with MS SQL and the relevent files weer loaded into the MS Server in the C:\program files\MS SQL Server. This worked no problema nd the cannection is fine using sa and Prima123Vera as password. 

I have tried connecting using the guide on page 67 of the Administration guide under the titled: "Creating the Database Structures for MS SQL Server and Loading Application Data", again I cannot get this to work. 

If any of you can post the procedure to ensure that P6 v 7.0 will connect to MS SQL then I would be grateful. Please note installing the MS SQL 2008 Express was not a problem and connects to other software with no problems. It is just P6 v 7.0. 

Best Regards, 

Jeremy Fearnsides

Steve Paterson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

migrate the database from SQL to Oracle - very simple process and when setting up the Oracle database ensure you change the users Admuser, Pubuser, Privuser to what it advises in the manual.

I recently had to reinstall P6v7.0 then upgrade to v8.2 and it went seemlessly in about 30-45mins

Steve Paterson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

migrate the database from SQL to Oracle - very simple process and when setting up the Oracle database ensure you change the users Admuser, Pubuser, Privuser to what it advises in the manual.

I recently had to reinstall P6v7.0 then upgrade to v8.2 and it went seemlessly in about 30-45mins

Christopher Hall
User offline. Last seen 11 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Chris,

It may pay to re-configure your database connection and/or check the status of your database in Oracle.

It sounds like a simple connection error which you should be able to solve without removing or deleting anything.

I'm not familiar with Oracle but the database connection can be checked/ re-configured from the P6 login dialogue box.

Regards,

Chris Hall

Christopher Amores
User offline. Last seen 11 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Naseer,

Thanks for the reply.

P6 v7 comes with Oracle not SQL. I can do the same to Oracle but how to copy the old database to the new database?

Naseer Yama
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline