Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Assigning resources to partially overlapping activities

5 replies [Last post]
Volkan Küçükgöze
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello all,

I would like to learn how to assign a resource to partially overlapping activities. For example i have activities like below and 1 team of workers to work on all of them. The activities themselfs allows 1 team to work on more than one of them at the same time.

Activity 1     -------------------------------   01.01.2012-01.02.2012

Activity 2                     -------------------------------   15.01.2012-15.02.2012

Activity 3                              -------------------------------------   25.01.2012-01.03.2012

I am using Primavera 6.0.0.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 48 min ago. Offline

Volkan, I do not use P6 but the issue of sharing resources is common so there must be a way your software does it. My comments are intended to guide you into finding the correct way that does not require splitting the activity. Splitting the activity might yield undesired results, especially if you want the activity to be constinuous under resource leveling.  Best regards,Rafael
Volkan Küçükgöze

"Try searching for how your software handle partial assignments, the team cannot be at the same time working on different activities but can be scheduled to work part of the day on each of the activities."

Dear Rafael,

Can you please explain how to set the team working part of the day on each activities? I tried to figure how to do it but unfortunately i couldnt do it. I have been using Primavera 6.0 for almost 3 weeks so i am not completely familiar with it yet.

Thank you for you reply.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 48 min ago. Offline

Volkan,

Try searching for how your software handle partial assignments, the team cannot be at the same time working on different activities but can be scheduled to work part of the day on each of the activities.

This is very common resource allocation for resources like a crane that is shared among different activities.

Not all software works in the same way but somehow P6 shall have his own way.

After you learn the basics of partial assignments then you might try more advanced allocations such as variable resource loading for variable quantities and variable partial assigments, such as assigning at the beginning the whole crew 100% of the time to activity 1, then as soon as activity 2 starts say 50% on activity 1 and 50% on activity 2. This is bit more complicated but is what most PM will do at the site in order to avoid the waste of idle resources. If you do not do this, eventually it might happen that the PM will manually make the adjustments at the jobsite and set aside the CPM as useless for good resource planning.

Do not forget that variable resource loading will usually have an effect on the activity duration.

Good luck,

Rafael

Volkan Küçükgöze
Hello Mike,

Its actually the reverse of what you said. I have one team and i want to assign it to ALL the activities but i dont want Primavera scheduling the activities like they are FS.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Volkan

So you only have one team and they cant be in two places at once - right.

So you have to remove the overlap by way of FS links and use up the float.

If no float then you will have a delayed end date - or get one more team.

Best regards

Mike Testro