Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

% Completes in p6

4 replies [Last post]
Shannon Johnson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have used p3 off and on years ago and had some exposure to p5, my background is more toward Project Controls - Cost management rather than scheduling.  Here is my issue/question:  I was told by the PM not to baseline the schedule (I know, I should have but I didn't, I did as I was specifically requested), that is a topic for another day, however.  I am trying to understand the process of the % completes on my resource loaded schedule which all activities are set to duration percent complete.  The schedule has roughtly quarter of the activities which have been actualized, but my issue is with the "Summary Totals" of the duration % complete when I select that option in the Group/Sorting.  All of the activiites in a group for example will show 0% complete but the Summary Total of those activites will show greater than 0% or some of the activities % completes show a value greater than 0% but the Summary Total of those activiites show 0%.  What is causing this and why are they not consistent?  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Shannon

untitled.jpg

Replies

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Shanon,

I assume that the calendar is not 7 days per week and the data date is on 28.11.11 as per your attachment.

Duration percentage progress calculation like this, based on the activity % you apply in schedule;

(Original dur - Rem dur)/Original dur.

For eg: (10-7)/10*100 = 30% (it will be reflected in activity wise or in summary roll up wise)

Another eg: (6-7)/6*100= it will be a-ve value, so it will not be reflected in summary/activity level.

NB: so the issue was with the remaining duration much higher than the original duration. This might have happened due to the unrealistic original duration calculation.

I hope this will solve your schedule issue.

Regards

Kannan

Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

check your planned start date

match planned start for those with zero % summary to your actual start

Shannon Johnson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Kannan, Activity % complete does not roll up to a summary level.  I'm using duration % complete and the summary is not rolling up properly as shown in my attachment above.  Please advise how to correct so that it is consistently rolling up the duration % complete to the summary.  Thank you!

Shannon 

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Shannon,

Are you using Schedule % complete? Try with Activity % complete.

Kannan