Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to assign the same baseline to monthly updates?

9 replies [Last post]
j s
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

How can I assign the same baseline schedule to my current schedule every month? Right now I make a copy of the baseline schedule and assign it as a baseline to my current schedule which means I have a copy of one baseline for each month. I want to avoid making copies. Is there a way to work around this?

Replies

Alex Alex
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Hi JS

What Roland is telling you is to update the UP1 everytime so that the BL attached to UP1 need not change and hence you don't have to make extra Base Line's everytime you update the schedule. For record purpose, you can keep your UP2, UP3, UP4 etc as snapshot of your update for the time periods 2, 3, 4 etc.

This way you will have a single Base Line which is your BL file assigned/embedded in your UP1.

Is my understanding correct Roland?

Thanks

j s

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your time in explaining this but that is what I do for every update.

I have baseline BL and for the first update I make a copy of it and rename it say UP1. The baseline for this update is BL.

For the next update I make a copy of UP1 and rename it to say UP2. This way I retain the last update too just incase we need to refer to it. The baseline for UP2 will still be BL. But here's the problem. After baseline has been assigned to UP1 i.e to the first update this baseline cannot be seen in whichever node it is present. For the next update UP2 I need to show the same baseline BL in the updated schedule with both current dates and baseline dates. How do I assign the same baseline BL to update UP2 and UP3......,, and so on.

What I do is make a copy of BL and rename it BL2 to be assigned as a baseline to UP2, BL3 as a baseline to UP3. You can see that I am making copies of the basline to be assigned to every update which I want to avoid. I want to have only one baseline BL and assign it to every update UP1, UP2, UP3,....

I am not sure if this can be done but I am exploring this possibility.

I hope I have framed my question propery!

Thanks,

JS

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Planning Engineer:

Your post is not related to the topic of using the same baseline for monthly updates.

Please post your queries as a new topic rather than corrupting an existing thread.

And when you post these question in the new topic, you will need to give us more information before we can help you -for example it is clearly impossible to answer your Q4 unless you tell us how you are assigning relations between activities

You might also consider using words such as "please" and "thank you" in your post.

planning engineer
User offline. Last seen 12 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Q1

I DID'T GIVE ANY DURATION SO HOW PRIMAVERA ASSING THE DURATION?

Q2

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN START & FINISH IS 4 WHILE IT SHOWING DURATION 9

Q3

ALSO HOW IT CALCULATE THE TOTAL FLOAT

Q4

IS MY ASSINGING OF RELATION BETWEEN THE ACTIVITY IS CORRECT OR WRONG

Q5

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO ASSING RELATION SHIP BETWEEN ACTIVITIES.

Q6

IF I WANT TO MAKE THE ACTIVITY A1112 CRITAICAL SO WHAT I DO FOR THAT PURPOSE?

Q7

WHAT IS EASIEST WAY TO DRAW THE CRITICAL PATH IN PRIMAVERA 6?

Q7

HOW THE STAR ASSOCIATED WITH DATES ARE REMOVED? 

Roland Payawan
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

1. Say Programme AB is your current programme with baseline programme BL updated as of reporting period 1.

2. Copy programme AB and named it as BC and mark it as updated as of Reporting Period 1. (whatever is the reporting period)

3. Then go back to your Programme AB and do the upadating for the second reporting period.

4. Do again step 2, save a copy of the programme, name it CB with the second reporting period.

5. Then do again the update for the next reporting period on AB. You will just have to do your updating on the same file.

Hope this help you.

Cheers,

j s

Hi Roland,

I didn't exactly understand by what you meant. Every time I need to update I make a copy of the last update and also have to make a copy of the baseline to assign to this update.

I am trying to have only one schedule as a baseline for all updates.

Not sure if it is clear.

JS

j s

Arend,

Thanks for the reply but it didn't work when I copied on another EPS node.

JS

Roland Payawan
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi JS,

Copy your lastest updated schedule, name the copy as your last week updated what ever the cut-off is, then to the current updating on the original schedule that you have and you wont need to copy another baseline again.

cheers,

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi js,

you can make a copy of your schedule and put it away under an other EPS level and assign that project to your current schedule.

Regards,

Arend