Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

resources levelling

2 replies [Last post]
francesco sorbello
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

i use p5, i need to levelling resources,because i have a lot of overallocated early units, i try use the use autolevelling, but the finish date not be change.

What  have i to do ? 

Please help me

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 2 min ago. Offline

Francesco.

If by running standard resource leveling the project finish date is delayed you have to adjust the schedule as to get it back on track.

Some software provide an option to do resource leveling and stop the procedure when the leveling start delaying the project duration, leaving some resources overloaded. This is to be used as an intermediate step and never as the final step.

The temptation might be to provide additional resources for the over allocations as shown by this uncompleted resource leveling. This might seem to be a good solution but I am not sure it will. If the over allocations happens at the end it might be a better solution to add resources earlier as to bring ahead some activities that might be causing the latter over allocation.

The worst of the temptations would be to leave the over allocated resources unsolved and show the Owner a job projected to finish on time, it is a lie that eventually will show up. I have some doubts about the benefits, if any of an option that does not solve such an important issue. It is not a good idea to postpone solving the issue latter, get the bull by the horns before he gets you.

It would be interesting to see what suggestion are provided on the literature of software that provide such functionality. How it is intended to be used? Probably no suggestion at all, left open for your misinterpretation.

When your job shows a projected finish date beyond contract finish date usually there is no easy way, no miracle key, no miracle short cuts.

Anyway if this is your case, take a look at the resource leveling options in your software and maybe such an option is available for your misuse.

Best regards,
Rafael

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Francesco,

Leveling of activity resources does not always result in the delaying of a project.  If your over-allocated resources were assigned to non-critical activities, then it is possible that the delay to some of the activities would not affect the critical path.  Consider yourself lucky and take the afternoon off!  Good luck.