Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resourses distribution with given daywise for one activity

12 replies [Last post]
pankaj kumar
User offline. Last seen 10 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hii,

I am using P6.7 version. Currently i am planning for Integrated cement plant project. The issue which i am facing now is...

I have created the 18.5 month Schedule with assigning of resouses. I am one query regarding is that. Suppose I have created One activity of say duration 20 days. Now with respect to this activitity i have assigned 4-5 resouses say (Excavator, dumper, helper and supervisor etc).

Now the point is i want to distribute Supervisor and helper for the whole duration of activity (i.e. 20 days). and at the same time Excavator i want to use for starting 15 days (not being used for last 5 days) and Dumper i want to use for last 10 days (not being used for starting 10 days).

So, can you help me out in this accout that how i would assign the resourses for one activitiy (20 days) with above distribution of resorses by given day wise.

Please tell the process..

Rgds,

Pankaj

Replies

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Pankaj,

As suggested by people in the post, you can use manual resource curves to assign resources and i would also advise you to create Financial Periods, so that you can track the actuals on a day to day basis. To get more details on Financial Periods, check out this link at http://primaverablog.in/category/important-topics/financial-periods/

Regards

Amit Parmar

Check out my blog on Primavera at http://www.primaverablog.in

Seyyit Eren Paydak
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

hi;

Activity Details > Resource Tab

Remaining Duration            Remaining Lag

Excavator               15d

Dumper                 10d                              10d

Helper                    20d

Supervisor              20d

Regards,

Eren.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 28 min ago. Offline

From Primavera P6 Reference Manual.

Photobucket

Same as Bucket Planning or resource lag, the use of resource curves fools the resource leveling algorithm in some way, be real.

I thought the use of resource curves would tell the resource leveling algorithm to use maximum assigment of every resource across the whole activity duration resulting in less than optimal results, still have my doubts on how it works.

If the mere use of bucket planning, resource lag or resource curves have the effect of not leveling at all these resources this can spell disaster unless you are very aware of how it works and how to tame, it might allow for impossible schedules because resources are overallocated.

In any case under these circumstances the use of resource lag, resource curves and bucket planning on limited resources is bad practice.

Regards,

Rafael

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi All

In Asta PowerProject you can assign resources to any part of a task along its duration.

Best regards

Mike Testro

kumar s
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Pankaj,

I think you should use the resource curves for excavator and dumper resource.

for the excavator resource you can use the front loaded curve so that the units will be assigned in from the begining and will end early and for the dumper you can use the back loaded curve that will assign the units starting from the end date.

and if you want the resources to be assigned to to a perticuler date ( like above you are mentioning 15 days for excavator)then you can modify the resouce curves yourself to suit your date.

cheers

Ron Beechey
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Individual tasks with a level of effort task tieing them together

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 28 min ago. Offline

Maybe you can do that using resource lag for each individual assignment, a functionality that was available in SureTrak. But I wonder what effect does this will have on the resource leveling, I prefer the splitting of the activity approach is more transparent.

I have no objection to use of resource lag on non-leveling resources, most notably cost resources when financial resources are not an issue. It is at the option of the user to make use of good practice or not, it is not as much on the scalpel as it is on the surgeon.

pankaj kumar

Mr. Annon,

Can u tell me the process of assiging. LOE?

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

No, you cannot. You need to breakdown your activities so as to correspond to a certain resource unit.

Try LOE with details under it.

pankaj kumar

Can anybody clear this problem?

pankaj kumar

Rohit,

Thanks for ur reply..

Resouses can be assigned to Project. and it is applicable for all the activities in one project. But i want to assign resourses as per my time availabiliyt requirement. If i assign say excavator in resouses calander . this shall be applicable for Project or say for the whole duration of activity...

Can u tell me the process how wud u go with resourse cal. i think my question is clear in above activity

Rohit K
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Pankaj

As per my opinion we should then have separate resource calenders then and to assign these as when required.

Rohit