Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing SDEF from P6 to QCS, Feature of Work errors

7 replies [Last post]
MIke Collins
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have recently switched over from p3 to p6 and was having no issues with importing to QCS.

I just imported the sdef file from p6 for the first time into QCS and it messed up all of my features of work. In p6 i have the activity code FOW, then the code value for each feature of work, then it has the description of the code value under description. All the code values are the same i have always had but now when i imported the sdef file QCS has added another feature of work that is equal to the description not the code value and associated all related activities to the added value.

So all my original FOW's still have all my manually entered QCS info associated with it (preps, initials, aha's) but all the activities are now assigned to the new FOW which is equal to the description.

Do i just have something wrong in my settings which caused the sdef file to tell QCS to add another FOW and reassign all the activities? Or is there a bigger issue?

Thanks for any input.

Replies

Bill Iverson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

I've recently added an SDEF module into the SorceForge MPXJ http://mpxj.sourceforge.net/ software that works with both Microsoft (MPX, MPP) and Oracle Primavera XER formats.  Does anyone want to try this new module, help us be certain we've actually worked out the bugs???

MPXJ was created in 2003, has years of experience working out the bugs, and was basically created back when Microsoft dropped the MPX format after MS-Project 2003.  The J stands for Java, and it's all open source code.....

Deepak Astagimath
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

HI! I am experiencing similar problem.

Recently I have converted from P3 to P6.. when I convert .xer to SDEF all activity codes do not appear in SDEF only.. Resp, Area/Dept and Phase appear.

Note: All activity codes are in Global.

Please help me.

Deepak Astagimath
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

HI! I am experiencing similar problem.

Recently I have converted from P3 to P6.. when I convert .xer to SDEF all activity codes do not appear in SDEF only.. Resp, Area/Dept and Phase appear.

Note: All activity codes are in Global.

Please help me.

MIke Collins

thanks for the response

Jim McCombs
User offline. Last seen 9 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Mike,

You can download the latest SDEF.pdf file from oracle by google search: Oracle P6 SDEF.PDF.  On my search it was the third on down.  An older version was the second one down.  But beware there is a huge mistake in the instructions.

In the notes that I listed in the previous post, the last sentence of the first note states: You also need to make sure you define each activity code as a global activity code.  This will get you in big trouble with the COE.  The correct method is to define each activity code as a project activity code.  If you actually made them global, create the SDEF and then import into QCS and then import into RMS, it will wipe out all of the COE codes.

Jim

Jim McCombs
User offline. Last seen 9 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Mike,

You perfectly describe the problem of switching from P3 to P6 in you SDEF imports into QCS.  For Feature of Work, the SDEF file generated from P3 uses the Feature of Work activity code values.  When you create the P6 SDEF, it uses the FOW code descriptions, not the values.  So, QCS sees this as a whole new group of Features of Work.

I think  the best solution is to stick with P3.  You can go into QCS and delete the features of work created by the P6 SDEF import.  Besides, there are many other problems in using P6 instead of P3.

If you search on the internet for P6 SDEF Conversion, you will likely find a file labeled SDEF.pdf.  This is a PDF that is specific to P6 conversions to SDEF.  The Notes below are clips from the pdf file and explains what is going on in P6 when creating the SDEF file.

Note: The Description column is for your information only. The Project Management module does not support activity code descriptions. When creating the activity code structure, you only need to create each code and specify the maximum length. You also need to make sure you define each activity code as a global activity code.

Note: When converted, the code value for the “Feature of Work” activity code displays in the Activity Codes Description column of the XER file, and a unique code value is generated by the converter. For all other activity codes, the code value displays in the Activity Codes Code Value column of the XER file.

I hope this helps.

MIke Collins

anyone else experience this problem