Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual % complete is showing wrong

5 replies [Last post]
kumar s
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All

I am updating the progress for my present project.
the project updation is done for every one month.this is the first month of updation.
the acitivites are task dependant.
duration type- fixed duration and units/time.
% complete type- duration type. resources are assighned with cost also
and i have assigned estimation weights to the WBS LEVEL through top down estimation.

after that when i am recording the progrss for the first month the schedule % complete is 2.5%.
after applying the actual to the activities the actual % complete(whch i have selected as duration % complete) is showing as 6.0%. which is not correct because only those activities which were scheduled are completed.
so by logic both the values should be same.

but the actual % complete is showing more

need your guidance please

thanks in advance

Replies

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Kumar,

Schedule % COmplete at WBS band is calculated via formula : (BCWS or PV* 100) / BAC

where

BCWS or PV = Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled

BAC = Budget at Completion

BCWS or PV = is the portion of the budgeted total cost of the activity that is scheduled to be completed as of the project data dat according to the baseline dates

BAC = Budgeted total cost in the Baseline

since Schedule % Complete is dependent on cost, the percent complete values might be coming different.

I would suggest that you compare Performance % complete values and Schedule % Complete values.

Currently you are trying to compare 2 values which are calcluated by different parameters.

Regards

Amit Parmar

http://www.primaverablog.in

kumar s
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Amit,

thanks for your explanation....reminded me of the basics..

now i checked the all the activities and the remaining duration have not changed for any activity.

the schedule % complete and the duration % complete should be same,but it is not.

what i doubt is  i have given weightages to the actvities and the schedule % is calculated depending on the these weightages also.

but when i am seeing the duaration % complete it is not taking in to consideration these weightges and just showing the percentages depending on the duration % that has been completed till now.

on the other hand the performance % complete is showing correeclty.

so can i use this performance % complete for the actual % complete comparision..

thanks in advance

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Kumar,

The calculation for Duration % Complete at summary level is 

Summary Duration % Complete = ((Summary OD - Summary RD) / Summary OD ) * 100

here there might be a case where in one of the activities you might have changed the remaining duration and hence the value in the formula changed.

Try checking the values for the above formula and see if the values satisfy the above equation.

Arend - Dear Arend, Actual % complete values do not get rolled up to the WBS level whereas Performance % Complete values are rolled up to the WBS and hence they are a function of cost.

Regards

Amit Parmar

http://www.primaverablog.in

Arend Kok
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Kumar,

You will find that actual % complete is a function of cost. So you activities are weighted according to their total budgeted cost, and this is used to calculate the % complete on a wbs level.

Arend Kok
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Kumar,

You will find that actual % complete is a function of cost. So you activities are weighted according to their total budgeted cost, and this is used to calculate the % complete on a wbs level.