Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path

15 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,

I was reviewing a baseline schedule for contractor and extracted the schedule report which tells me that no critical activities in the schedule eventhough there is no open end?

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Replies

Thank you,
now I understand.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 45 min ago. Offline
Hi Vladimir,
No it does not mean like that. If Activity finished at 8:15AM then start Milestone will start at 8:15 because working hours is not yet finish but if act finish at 5:00PM (last working hour or time) Start Milestone will start following working hour (time) or next day (ex: 8:00AM).

Best Regards,
Rodel
Rodel,
did I understand you correctly that if some activity finishes at 8:15 then following Start milestone starts at 9:00 (following working hour).
Does it make some sense to you?

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rodel Marasigan
Moutaz,
Like what I have said P6 will accept the link and make no difference but will produce invalid milestone relationship on log report. If you change all FS relationship to SS of all Start Milestone stated on log report and run the schedule again, you see on log report that no more milestones having invalid relationship.
moutaz aldeib
Thanks Rodel, this is the case I have but it does not make any difference if we changed from FS to SS.

Regards,

Moutaz
Rodel Marasigan
Vladimir,
I did explain it if you read my post #7. "P6 to MSP mapping stated that MSP Activity mark as Milestone will be converted as Start Milestone."

Start Milestone having only Start Date.
Finish Milestone having only Finish Date.

To extend my explanation, Primavera separates Start Milestone and Finish Milestone with their behavior when link to activity.
Ex:
Act1 - FS - Start Milestone = If Act1 finished at 5:00PM (last working hour) Start Milestone start on the following working hour.
Act1 - FS - Finish Milestone = Finish Milestone start or finished at the end of Act1 i.e. 5:00PM

Start Milestone - FS - Act1 = Act1 start together with start milestone.

Finish Milestone - FS - Act1 = Act1 start next working hour or following day if Finish Milestone start/finished 5:00PM.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Hi Rodel,
you did not answer my question:
Do you see any practical sense in separation of start milestones and finish milestones?
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rodel Marasigan
Moutaz,
Yes it should be SS and not FS although P6 will accept it but it will produce invalid relationship on log report. You should be able to see the activity ID for that milestone.
moutaz aldeib
Rodel,

I have got your point, but the problem I have that the project is surely imported from P6 and there is not ilogic link, I do not know what the program means by invalid relationship.

However, if the start milestone linked to another start milestone by relationship FS, does it mean invalid relationship?

Regards,

Moutaz
Rodel Marasigan
Moutaz,
No! I said if the schedule is import from other software like MSP, Primavera convert it to Start Milestone.

I’m not sure if your schedule source is from other software or not. Who ever gave it to you he/she may import it from MSP. To correct the invalid relationship, it’s either correct the relationship type or the activity type.
Example:
If logic is FF but activity is Start Milestone then it is invalid relationship. So either change relationship type as SS for Start Milestone or change activity type to Finish Milestone.

Vladimir,
Based on MSP to P6 Mapping by default MSP milestone which having start and finish date are converted to Start Milestone. Primavera has only one date in Milestones. It’s either Start Date for Start Milestone or Finish Date for Finish Milestone and cannot have both. I hope that make sense.

Best Regards,
Rodel
moutaz aldeib
Rodel,

the milestones are not linked with FF, and all the links are logic between milestones, so why I have to change it to Finish milestone.

And do you mean if I import the file from another location, the default is start milestone.

Regards,

Moutaz
Hi Rodel,
can you explain why Primavera made separate Start and Finish milestones.
It creates problems for users and I don’t see any practical sense in this feature.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rodel Marasigan
Moutaz,
If the schedule is imported from other software, Primavera default for Milestones is Start Milestone. So if the activity link is FF then Start Milestone is incorrect. Filter all milestones or check the schedule log what milestone activity ID and change it to Finish Milestone.
moutaz aldeib
You are right Rodel, the schedule has Must finish by date which is higher than project completion date. Thanks a lot.

Rodel, in the schedule report there is milestone activities with invalid relationship, what it means?

Regards,

Moutaz
Rodel Marasigan
Moutaz,
Possible reasons are:
-> The schedule had a Must Finish by date define which is higher than project completion which give a project float not equal to zero.
-> Project might have define constrain at the last activity or milestone which cause having total float not equal to zero for the rest of activity.
-> Schedule options critical path calculation parameter is negative float.