Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Comparison between Planned & Actual Progress

23 replies [Last post]
Athar Hashmi
User offline. Last seen 3 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Dear friends
How can I show Planned Progress and Actual Progress in columns? For actual i can show Performane % complete but for baseline which % type i have to choose

Replies

Bert Ella
User offline. Last seen 10 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Rodel, 

It's Great! I tried ur instruction. It Works!

Thanks and Regards,

AB Timo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Rodel,

Thanks for the sharing information.one issue if you further clarify.

Activity spreadsheet window- --> right click ---> spreadsheet option ---->click "calculate average" --->here i have to enter 1853469.89 (cost is 185346989 Sr / 100 = 1853469.89) , but it is not taking complete value i,e not taking more than 5 digits number). can you check this option and solve the issue????

Regards,

zhang ting
User offline. Last seen 6 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Mr Rodel:

I  followed your instruction on your post #8, but after i entered unit of measure "%" ,the unit % of Plan Value and EV % can't display . Moreover how to change the magnitude of the value of Plan Value and EV % Ex: from "1" to "1.00%"                               

Best regards!

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Anbin,
The technique is to type the 6digit then decimal and add the rest of the number. Remove the decimal but if you required seven digits remove the others and it should work fine. Decimal is nothing if you have more than 6 digit whole number. You should get 100% equivalent.
Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Hai Pinan T
1.Thanks For ur reply its Work where my Total budget cost 15800000
I gave divide interval by 1580000 & Its Works Fine.
In Another project I am having Total Budget cost of
343509538 .I am able to type as whole number
I want to Divide interval by 3435095.38(to show as 99.77%) its not working
I am able to add decimal only after 6 digit

Regards
Anbin
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
hi athar

this was solved by Arnold Puy already in one of his posts in the forum:

"1. Let say you have 10 digits (e.g. 1234567890).
2. In this case, you can only have the 6 digits as a whole number but you can have as many numbers with decimals places (e.g. 123456.7890).
3. In order to convert the decimal into whole number, you need to delete the period/dot (.) using (<-) backspace or delete on your keyboard.
4. Just simply point your cursor in between the 6 & 7 numbers and delete the point/dot using the No. 3 step. The result 9e.g. from 123456.7890 to 1234567890)."
Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rodel,

I have tried this option before.But I faced a problem of entering the number of digits.I could not enter more than 6 digits.

eg.. My project value is 158000000
& For the month is 9675000

Regards,

Anbin
Athar Hashmi
dats fine Rodel,
now one thing more. Why the activity usage spreadsheet showing percentage more than 100(%)? As per your post # 8, I divide the activity usage by 100 and unit of measure %
Rodel Marasigan
Athar,
For Plan % use Schedule % complete and for Actual % use Performance % Complete.
Athar Hashmi
Hey Rodel,
I want to show the Percentage in WBS band also. for this which percentage i’ve to use for Planed & Actual?
Athar
Rodel Marasigan
Alfon,
If you follow my instruction on my post #8 you should have same result.
Alfon Lyndon Joson
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rodel

Hi, how did you manage to set up the percentages on the lower right area.

Regards

Alfon
Rodel Marasigan
Joel,
Why you need to do that when it’s already available in P6 without any manual progress like you did?
See sample below:
Plan Prog

Best Regards,
Rodel
Joel Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Rodel,

Plan % will be the baseline activity % complete to be updated manually according to planned progress % complete without moving the data date.
For showing the time scale interval IMHO, this need to be done by attaching another copy of baseline program updated according to plan. In p6 u can show up to 2baseline % Complete (BL Project & BL1) so you will have 2 update period comparison of Actual and Plan % complete. The only setback is your limited for only two update interval.

Regards,
Joel
Rodel Marasigan
Joel,
On your approach how can you show Plan % on timescale interval?

Note: Schedule % Complete is Plan % based on Baseline and datadate.
Joel Villanueva
Athar,

Okay, manually update your baseline % complete but DON’T run schedule the planned dates will not move and you can show BL%compelte.

HTH,
Joel
Rodel Marasigan
Athar,
You can use Activity Usage Spreadsheet and Select the following Fields:
1) Under Cumulative and Time Interval ->Earned Value Group:
->Cum Plan Value Cost or Unit
->Cum Earned Value Cost or Unit
->Plan Value Cost or Unit
->Earned Value Cost or Unit

Note: Earned Value is your Physical Progress (Actual)

2) Right click on Spreadsheet table and select Spreadsheet Option then Tick Calculate Average and enter the Budget Unit or Budget Cost over 100 and under unit of measure enter % then click apply or Okay.
Ex: Total budget cost = 10,000,000 /100 = 100,000

It should display the Plan Value and EV % cumulative and time interval. You can change the name to Plan% and Act% if you want.

Note: to match the Progress display on Activity Window Column you must have same cut-off date as timescale.
Ex: Timescale = Monthly = Datadate = July 30 2010 05:00PM
Timescale = Weekly should match on setting First day of the Week (i.e. Mon cut-off/datadate = Sun or Sat)
Athar Hashmi
Joe
It’s okay. But when i change the activity %complete, dates are changing. i don’t want to change the dates. i want to keep activity date and duration same as it is mentioned.
Joel Villanueva
Athar,

Make a copy of your baseline program update it as progress as planned then run schedule to move the data date same as your current program. Make this as your Project baseline or Primary baseline, you can now show Baseline column % Complete as your planned % complete compared to your current progress. Hope this will help.

Regards,
Joel
Athar Hashmi
Dear
My program is cost loaded & resource loaded
Rodel Marasigan
Athar,
If your Program is not resource loaded or cost loaded you will not get the planned % complete every month without moving data date. You have to resource load or cost loaded your schedule first.
Athar Hashmi
i want to compare planned with actual. planned %age will be same as per the status date but actual %age can be more or less or equal depending upon the actual site progress. I want to show both progress, e.g planned is 50% and actual is 40% without changing any date. How can I do this?
Rodel Marasigan
Schedule % Complete = Planned % Complete. Terminology change depends on which Industries selected when installing P6.