Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

actual cost for tracking

5 replies [Last post]
Sony Lei
User offline. Last seen 13 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
i am working for the owner and i want to applying EV concept in my monthly report for tracking schedule,cash flow status (interim payment preparing and approving). My question is:
_ for BCWS, i can use BOQ and construction schedule from Contractor for updating and entering to my program.
_for BCWP, i can tracking actual work by monthly
_ but for ACWP, can i use interim payment claim from Contractor?or where it come from that i can use for define ACWP.
we have formular : SV=BCWP-BCWS => i can only assess schedule status without
CV=BCWP-ACWP => no data with ACWP mean i can not assess Cost status???

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 29 min ago. Offline
Son,
The EVM that you mentioned is only partial and not the whole project. Always remember that if the contractor did not met the deadline or the productivity is lower than expected there is a possibilities of cost losses. The longer it takes the higher cost will be incurred on other associated cost like overhead, office rentals, equipment hire, facilities, utilities, etc… if the client is providing all those items. You should be reporting all other associated cost and not only contractor cost. If you have multiple contractors and their productivity is lower than expected then it needs to highlight so the management can push the contractor and possible LD or EOT will be avoided which normally leads to dispute.

You should be able to illustrate using tabular reports and S-Curve highlighting the issues that will reflect the correct EVM and effect of current trend. All areas should be reported and not concentrating on a partial EVM only.
Sony Lei
I agree and understand, Rodel,that mean if i work for the owner and make Monthly report, i can only mention about the Schedule status:
_SV= EV-PV
_or SPI=EV/PV
Base on this factor i will analyze schedule status.
And cannot mention about Cost Status, because:
_CV= EV-AC=0
_or CPI=EV/AC=1. mean always in our budget control.
Other same mater is in Cash-Flow digram, we can only perform Planned-Accumulated Payment curve and Actual-Accumulate Payment curve(or earn-value curve),is that right?
And last one,Base on your experience, at a position of a planner/scheduler and cost controller in project,(i will work for the Owner),which scope of work/mission that the Owner want me attend and mention in periodically report?
Rodel Marasigan
Son Le,
BCWP (EV) = Performance % complete x BAC
ACWP (AV) = Actual cost incurred
It is possible that the two is the same if you are paying per unit rate but you can analyze if the schedule is delay and the productivity output will tell you if the Budget cost is attainable or how long it will take to complete the project.
Sony Lei
Thanks Rodel for quick reply, but i am afraid that when we check quantity with the Contractor for approving payment claim,maybe the quantity they submit in claim coincide with the quantity in our period tracking,that mean ACWP=BCWP(because we multiply quantity of work with unit price=the payment claim).Is that right?
Rodel Marasigan
San Le,
ACWP is the actual cost. If you are applying EVM only on contractors program and not on overall program which doesn’t include other cost like overhead then yes you can use interim payment claim from contractor.