Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Where does P6 Program files get stored in the system??

12 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

I want to know where does P6 files gets stored on the system.

I was doing a program , which i didnt have any back-up....

Now i am facing logon problems in P6 and unable to enter into P6. My only option here is to uninstall the current P6 software and reinstall again....

But before that i want to take backup of my Original program which was saved in the database of P6.

Can anybody suggest , how to take back-up of my P6 program , if i am unable to enter into P6......

Replies

krishna vadlamudi
User offline. Last seen 10 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi i want to know how to get the backup programs i had a problem with my laptop due to motherboard failuer how can i get the programs 

hame majedi
User offline. Last seen 12 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

can any one help me in

where to put my Primavera P6 v7 license file

I do not know how to license the priamavera.

It's an emergeny for me and will be thankfull if any one can help

thanks

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 4 min ago. Offline
Haresh,
A simple check to have admin right to your machine is in explorer. Right click C: and select Properties then click Security tab. If you have all the right on the folder then you may have a admin right. Another way is click Start-> Control Panel-> Users Account. Check your username if set to administrator.
Haresh Jayanth
Hi Mr. Rodel,

This discussion is going out of P6 to administor rights on Machine (Vista)..Still i want to ask you ....do u know steps to check the administor rights in machine or change it , incase of any problem......

thanks
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
Do you have admin right on your machine? If you don’t have admin right then that the reason why? If have admin right to your PC then try again using Window Authentication with different destination directory.
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Mr. Rodel,

I followed the exact steps , as you have explained in SQL Server Authentication , still i am unable to take the backup.

The message now is " Backup failed LG-PC/Primavera"
Additional info system.data.sqlclient.splerror:backup data permission denied in database pmdb$primavera.

Can u solve this problem....

regards,
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
You’re doing it correctly. If backup is failed the destination directory may not be existing or password may not correct when you logon to database.

Try this and it may work.
1) Run SQL express then when prompt users name and password change Authentication from Window Authentication to SQL Server Authentication. Enter username and password "privuser" for both.
2) Click Database node to expand and select pmdb$primavera.
3) Right click and select Task-> Backup...
4) Under destination backup to: Click remove button on the right.
4) Then Click Add and select a new destination folder (not under MSSQL) and enter a new name.
Haresh Jayanth
I understand now where does this file is stored. I tried to save back up from SQL express by using following steps.......but unable to do it.....

I select the Database Pane, Summary Tab, pmdb$primavera then right click --> Tasks --> Back Up

Database: pmdb$primavera
Backup Type: Full

Backup Component:
-Database

Backup set
Name: pmdb$primavera-Full Database Backup

Destination
Back up to: -Disk
C:\Program Files\MSSQL\Primavera\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\pmdb$primavera.bak

and then I select OK. However, I received an error message: Below is the ERROR MESSAGE:

Backup failed for Server ’HP-PC\PRIMAVERA’. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

Additional Information:*

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The server principal "hp-PC\Haresh" is not able to access the database "pmdb$primavera" under the current security context. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

Any solution .......
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh and Hannes,
P6 has files and it is stored in SQL-Database. The database name is PMDB$Primavera_DAT.MDF. It is run under master Database (master.mdf). These files are called SQL Databases. As I mention to my previous post it can be back-up using SQL Server Management Studio express.
To check if this installed click Start->Program->MSQL Server 2005 or 2007(defends on p6 version)->SQL Server Management Studio express.
The database normally stored on this location for standalone

C:\Program Files\MSSQL\Primavera\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline
Haresh

P6 does not store your projects into a file. As MS-SQL is part of your operating system, the SQL-database is no file.

As described, you can make a bak-file of it, which can be transported to an other system. This Bak-file includes everything of yr database: projects, calendars, WBS, activity codes, ...
To create this backup-file and also for restoring use SQL-Server-management-studio-express. Also search in this forum for instructions. Keywords: SQL, pubuser
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

I followed the procedure instructed by you. But unable to locate the date folder in any of my primavera files.

I also want to know under which extension file , does this files get stored?? Pls guide me again
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,

Primavera (P6) is consisting of 2 parts. One is the client which is the Primavera Program and Database running either Oracle or SQL server which ever is you used when you install Primavera. Primavera client program is under Program files-> Primavera folder. There are 2 Primavera main programs (Project Management (P6) & Methodology Management). The other part is the Database under Program files-> MSSQL-> Primavera and soon… There are many folders inside but the data itself is under data folder. To back-up this data there is software included in Primavera CD called SQL Server Management Studio Express. It manages Primavera Database and can use for backup all data in the Database.

If you want to re-install Primavera, it doesn’t overwrite the database and only reinstalling the client. Primavera recognizes the database and will not overwrite including the SQL server. But I’m not sure if re-installation will fixed the problem because users name and password are stored in Database and not on Primavera client. Try to backup first and un-install everything including SQL Database if re-installing client will not have a success.