Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Determining Max Units / Time for Resource Leveling

9 replies [Last post]
Ijaz Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys,
Can you please tell me, how to determine the Max Units/time, when leveling the resources? Say, in the resource usage profile, the time scale is set to Month/week.
Thanks
Ijaz

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 20 hours ago. Offline

that is impossible if you followed all of the settings that I told you 

try this on the activities in question delted the resource and add it again and then look at the distribution

when you are looking at the distrubution are you checking the remaining early box  ?

vidya sagar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Zoltan,

I applied all the 3 steps which you mentioned, but still the distribution for some activities are uneven.

Is there anyother way i unformily distribute the cost.

As i said my main Motto is to load BOQ Cost , I can't use expenses to load BOQ . Kindly let me know if there is anyother way i can load cost 

Thanks in advance.

Zoltan Palffy

Ijaz

on your resource under the Details tab on the rigth you have a Profile and you have the default units / time setting (lets say you work 8 hours per day) so that would be 8.00/d

now on your resource under the Units & Prices you have a Max Units / Time setting lets say that the Maximum hours a person can work 12 hours per day so that would be 12.00/d

now you have your defaul and max resource settings established

now you can level your prohect and even over ride the Max Units / Time setting in the leveling process if you choose to do so. 

Zoltan Palffy

Vidya

1st make sure that your 7 days a week calendar has NO holidays 

2nd at the PROJECTS level make sure that your project is open and that in the RESOURCE tab on the right under

Assignment Defaults make sure that DRIVE Activity Dates by Default IS CHECKED

3rd at the activites level at the bottom go to the resource tab and rigth click and a select Customize Resource Columns and expand the General category and select Curve to add a column.

now click in the curve column and select Linera

now it has to spread correctly.

vidya sagar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Any Some one help me to solve issue while resource loading.

Our client wants Project BOQ to be loaded into schedule to monitor Project Cash flow  , So i had created resources (material , Labour) and named them same as BOQ Description e.g if BOQ 2.4.2 refer to Construction of Shaft then i created resource as Material and named it as "Construction of Shaft" and Resource id as "BOQ 2.4.2 " so that whenever i export the resource allocation i can match the BOQ description and coding and also generate Cash flow 

After resource loading i noticed that resource unit or Budgeted cost is not distributed equally across the duration.

For Example i have a BOQ Item called " Project Site Office " and has Value of 120,000$ , as per our agreed Payment terms Client will be pay BOQ amount for project duration (36 Months) . I created resource (material) and Set Price/ Unit as 1$ and i set units as 120,000 which gives Bugeted cost as $ 120,000 .Since i need linear distrubution i didnot assigned any curve to my resources. My activity type is fixed Duration and Unit type and i Use 7 days working calender.

After assigning this resource to activities (starts on 24th Oct 2019 and ends on 23 Oct 2022) i noticed that budgeted unit/ Budgeted Cost were not linearly distributed and Budgeted Cost for few months were higher  like Budgeted cost for Dec 2019 is 3066$ and Jan 2020 is 3832$ . Since the total working days in Dec 2019 and Jan 2020 are same and Calender i adopted has no holidays , i cannot understand why P6 distributes Budgeted units / Cost unevenly. 

Can Someone help me on this and Thanks in advance.

wish you Happy New Year .

Regards

Sagar

mohamed abdalgawad
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

when you are making your resource dictionary in units & prices tab you can enter a value of max units/time according to this value the prog will determine overallocation .

for example : if u have 5 excavators and your time unit is day then max units/time = 5

if at any time u assign more than 5 units/time even for more than one activity you need to level your resources

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Ijas,

In this case, I honestly believed in Mike’s exclusive finish-to-start (FS) relationship.

No need to level resources, for me, there’s no such thing, considering big and several projects (that would be too complicated).
Ijaz Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Anoon for replying.
By Max Units / time, I mean putting a value in this column of each resource to set a limit for maximum allocation. This sets a limit in the resource profile and shows the overallocation before we Level the resources.
Thanks
Ijaz
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Ijas,

Are you refering to maximum resource allocation per planning unit (or timely distribution)?

I suggest to see it in the "resource usage spreadsheet.