Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

installing standalone p6 on vista

31 replies [Last post]
Hazel Stilgoe-McC...
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ok every time i have installed this before its been a piece of cake now it is asking me about data bases and stuff i have no idea how to access.

Can anyone give me a step by step idiots guide to installing this it is installed but when i try to log in it give the following error Unable to connect to the data base wOULD YOU LIKE TO CONFIGURE THE DATABASE NOW

HELP PLEASE

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Jay

Well done - you managed to beat the system and actually use the software that you paid for.

I look forward to your set of queries on the P6 thread when you do actually try to use it.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Jay Samortin
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

After several days of trying, we finally got it installed, not on Vista though, but on Windows 7. We actually used 3 computers, XP, Vista and Windows 7. Only Windows 7 got it successfully and run smoothly.

I thank you all for your help ad attention...

I’ll be sitting by,,,

Cheers!

-Jay
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jay,

I think Dieter is right, you need to delete all registry under the

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> Microsoft --> Microsoft SQL Server Folder.

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Microsoft SQL Server Folder.

As well as, the Primavera Folder for both HKEY.

Anyway Jay, keep on trying you can do it.

Regards,

Arnold

Jay Samortin
Yep I did that. I removed all MS SQL & Primavera entries from Regedit thru program files. And yes you’re correct on if not properly done...

I will do it again, if its still not make it then I’ll wait my friend tomorrow, he’s bringing his software and see how it goes, from then I will let you all know.

Appreciate you all..thanks
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Jay

So we’ll have to focus onto MS SQL and Vista. Did you check the Microsoft page for the compatibility list?
Under XP I remember that I had to remove all MS SQL entries from the registry before installing P6.1. If not properly done there was one line during SQL installation not marked in green which disappeared after a minute and it was the same result as you had. Only after ALL SQL related items were removed it was possible to install it properly.

Next step for you in my opinion: Uninstall P6 and the MS SQL, clean the registry, then try the installation again.

Good luck!

Dieter
Jay Samortin
Thanks all...

The first time I installed P6 last year it took me 4 hours to Configured but I got it worked out. But my computer got corrupted so I have no choice but to reformat. I tried to reinstall, unstall and reformat many times to make sure I deleted all the files relating to Primavera and MS SQL but didn’t make. I’m trying to install 6.1 and they said it was compatible to Vista and so I reformat again and upgraded into Vista Business, running 32 bit of OS.

When I was in the middle of installation, the SQL Server Database Services failed to setup and I guess that was the problem. I’ve gone to Registry Editor and deleted all files, unstall all program, even gone to Windows System 32 and had dbexpsda30.dll replaced with dbexpsda.dll but apparently it didn’t work out so I’d changed it back to original dbexpsda30.dll

I checked the PM.exe and it says there that database is null, database is not found, and a lot more database errors.

That was the story folks... appreciate all.

V/R,
Jay
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago, Went to Milestone in London, went online with Primavera they could not sort it,

To cut a long story short I had to get a copy of vista professional put on,

There was a microsoft registry file something .DLL which i believe is a registration file it was looking for say ver 7 Vista Home had Ver 6

regards

brad
Mike Testro
Hi Jay

Don’t give up - we are all rooting for you.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Dieter Wambach
Jay

In my opinion we should start from scratch again:

- Which operating system? Vista, but which version? I ask because SQL server doesn’t work under home basic edition --> technical requirements or Microsoft page.
- Other software installed? Did you check Microsoft for not compatible software?
- Please explain in detail how you did install P6.
- Any comments from your dealer?
- One part of the installation procedure is a test of the connection to the database --> result?

Regards
Dieter
Jay Samortin
Hi all,

I hope you find this messages in a well condition..

I’m still having problem in Database Configuration, the error

Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]. ;

Help please... thanks
Jay Samortin
Appreciate your quick response.

I am doing what you have told me regarding on PM.ini and trying to locate the database section. so I can check or add it. Once i found it i will let you all know what would be the outcome..

Thanks again.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Jay,

Also,

Just make sure p in primavera (Hostname & Database name) is in small case rather than in Caps.

Also,
username is pubuser and
password is pubuser

Cheers,
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jay,

Try this:

When P6 Project Management connects to a SQL Server 2000 database, it automatically sets the database transaction isolation level to READ UNCOMMITTED (dirty reads) to reduce concurrency issues. This is no longer necessary for SQL Server 2005 but is still done automatically by the P6 Project Management module.

If you are connecting to a SQL Server 2005 database, you should set the AllowDirtyReads key in the Database section of the PM.ini file to False. Setting this key to false causes SQL Server 2005 connections to use the default setting for this database, which is READ COMMITTED SNAPSHOT.

STEPS TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE:

Follow these steps to configure any client machines using the P6 Project Management module to connect to a SQL Server 2005 database:

1. Using a text editor, open the PM.ini file located in the Primavera\Project Management installation directory.
2. If the [Database] section does not exist, add it to the bottom of the file.
3. If the AllowDirtyReads key does not exist, add it to the [Database] section and set it to FALSE. For example:

[Database]
AllowDirtyReads=FALSE

4. Save the file. If necessary, restart the P6 Project Management module.

HTH
Jay Samortin
Hi..

I think there was no local admin security profile. It keeps showing the same error. I actually reformatted the computer again ang upgraded it into Vista, first thing I installed were Primavera together with MSQL server but failed when it came into databse configuration.

I think I followed the procedure, i just don’t know what’s keeping it failed.

Hostname: computername\Primavera
database name: pmdb$Primavera
User: pubuser/admin
pass: pubuser/admin

I also tried to install it with internet connection, nothing happens.

Folks I really need some help with this for I am running out of time. If anyone are based here in UAE I would go with my computer if I can.

Thanks a lot...
Dieter Wambach
Hi

@ Mike, there is and requires a valid license no. and maintenance contract.
In Germany it’s included in purchase price for the first 6 months and I have good experience.

@ Jay
It seems that SQL server wasn’t properly installed. Unfortunately, there are some error, where the message disappears during installation process.

You wrote that the PC got a new installation. So it should be ok.

The user under which you installed P6, did it have local admin security profile? The error message shows that the problem is the database server.

I don’t know of any conflicts with other software.

Did you check Doku\Tested Configurations for the required version of Windows?

Regards
Dieter
Mike Testro
Hi All

Is there a primavera help desk?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Jay Samortin
Hi folks,

We reformat the computer twice already without restoring any files.

Install, unstall & deleted the files completely and reinstall but still having the same delima.

"Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: Login failed for user ’pubuser’.;"

"Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: Login failed for user ’admin’.;"

This was the new message:

"Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.;"

But then again I turned back with the previous messages.

Appreciate any assistance... and awaiting.. thanks

Jay Samortin
Ok thanks Dieter..

I will reformat and try again..

Thanks a lot
Dieter Wambach
Hi Hazel, Jay

In my opinion Arnold is right. If there was a previous version of MS SQL - e.g. 2000 - on the PC, the uninstall doesn’t work properly. Maybe you’ll have to uninstall P6, walk through the registry and delete all SQL entries and then install P6 again.

Regards
Dieter
Jay Samortin
Hi all,

We are trying to install P6.1 into XP but got no luck.

(Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: Login failed for user ’pubuser’.;)

(Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: Login failed for user ’admin’.;)

These are our problem...

We have been unstalling at reinstalling several times even the MSQL Server/SQL Express but still failed in Database Configuration..

Help badly needed...

Arnold Puy
Hi Hazel,

Sorry,

Host Name: Computer_Name\primavera
and not "Computer_Name/primavera"

Barrie, is right if you have previous version of Primavera installed then you need to clean up all the registry key prior to installing. Or just simply upgrade to the new version.

Regards,

Arnold
Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hazel, my laptop died this morning so haven’t been on-line until now and I haven’t got my P6 up and running yet.

Did you have a previous version of Primavera on the machine. It’s just that as Arnold intimates the databases would be called pmdb$primavera and not PMDB.
Arnold Puy
Hi Hazel,

Let me ask you something, did you not encounter any error message during the installation process? If not, then try to configure the your database using the following:

Database alias: PMDB
Driver type: Microsoft Server SQL/SQL Express
Host Name: Computer_Name/primavera
Database name: pmdb$primavera
username: pubuser
Password: pubuser
Public group ID: 1

Otherwise, try to re-install the Primavera.

Regards,

Arnold

Hazel Stilgoe-McC...
hi yes i have
mmdb and pmdb both in that folder
Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Hazel,

The good news is you have the database system up and running and P6 installed. I suspect you haven’t created a database, because if you had it should have created the connection information for you.

Can you start "SQL Server Management Studio Express" (or similar). You should get in with Windows Authentication (Hit "Connect" button on the login screen). There is a kind of folder structure on the left and if you expand it to list the "Databases" you should have pmdb$Primavera.

If it isn’t there or all you have is "System Databases" then the Primavera Database hasn’t been created.

Contact me direct if this is a little too much. We could probably sort this out on a phone call.

Barrie
Hazel Stilgoe-McC...
thought so but not working
Dieter Wambach
Default pwd for admin is "admin".

Hazel Stilgoe-McC...
yes they all are does anyone know the default pass word for the admin user or how to access admin details and passwords to change them
Dieter Wambach
Hazel
For Oracle and for MS-SQL programs (services) must be active to provide access to the database. In xp you can see them under "Start" --> System Controls --> Administration --> Services. This should be equivalent in Vista.

For MS SQL Server these are:
SQL Server (Primavera)
SQL Server Full Text Search (Primavera)
SQL Server Browser
SQL Server VSS Writer

Theses services must be set to automatted start and active.

Regards
Dieter
Hazel Stilgoe-McC...
w2hat do you mean start the services
Dieter Wambach
Hazel

Did you start the services for your database? This kind of message is typical if the services aren’t started.

Sorry, I have no experience with Vista.

Regards
Dieter