Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

HELP ! Error during MPP export

12 replies [Last post]
Susan Young
User offline. Last seen 11 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have been struggling off late with exporting from P6.2.1 to MPP.

After the export, I get an error report message with text ’The argument value is not valid’ next to each activity.

On opening the MPP file I find that it has exported all the activities with relationship, however the duration of each activity is 1 day. I also didnt find the ACT ID in text 1 column - which I had specified :-(

Could anyone help me with detail procedure of exporting to MPP.

Thanks

Sue

Replies

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Susan,

Try exporting to XML 2007 or XML 2003 format

Thanks

Amit Parmar

Mary Lou Horton
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Can you help me import excel file into P6 v7? Is there somewhere I can find instruction and/or example? Thanks 

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Sue

When I found such variances, in general there was a simple reason:

MSP allows to relate group elements (WBS), which is not accepted by P6. For each WBS P6-Import creates an activity of the type "wbs summary". After import the links are still there, but they are ignore by the scheduling algorithm. Then the start of the successor will move onto the data date.

Regards
Dieter
Susan Young
OK I figured that the problem was with the calendars. Project default calander was not right.

However after export, I find a huge variance in dates between MSP & Primavera. (excess of 400 days for some activities)

I am aware that a exact export of dates wont be possible, but is there a easy way wherein i could perhaps im[pose the Primavera date in MSP schedule ?

Sue
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Any special character/symbol is used for resource name and ID?
If have, change to normal character
Susan Young
Still doesnt work
Dieter Wambach
Hello Susan

This messages says: IT’s ok.

Check this log file for "error".

Regards

Dieter
Susan Young
Hello Dieter,

Thankyou for your suggestions !

Tried the steps you suggested. The schedule is not resource loaded so the result of Integrity test was ok with following message:

’’2. Check Activity Resource Assignment for: Project mis-match between Activity Resource Assignments and Activities
>>>OK’’

I had just pasted ’activity ASPD900’ as an example. In fact this error message is against each of 2000 activities in schedule :-(

I am out of ideas now.

Susan
Dieter Wambach
Susan

So the reason seem to be within your project - activity ASPD900; not the export Concentrate on this activity.

- Run Tools --> Check Project Integrity --> read log file
- Is there a resource assignment with a curve? Check the curve. If the project originally comes from P3, some of the P3-curves are not supported in P6.
- What’s the activity’s status - started, planned.
- if not started, modify planned duration --> F10 (system must write into database) --> F5 --> F9 --> Planned duration back to the old value again --> F10 --> F5 --> F9.
- Then try the export again - xer. If this works, then to mpp

Good luck!
Dieter
Susan Young
Thanks for the quick response Dieter,

I use MSP 2000.

I tried what you proposed.. I exported the project in P6.1 version & re-imported the project in different EPS... Unfortunately I get the same error message after exporting to MPP.

When done, it says..’Process completed with Errors..’

And Log file shows following entry for each activity in schedule:

INFORMATION: Exporting Activity: [ASPD900] Completion of Concreting
*** ERROR ***: Exporting Activity [ASPD900] Completion of Concreting: The argument value is not valid

I am not sure where I m going wrong but the Export worked perfectly well few months back. Am I doing some mistake in the MPP export template parameters or is it something else ?

I am really struggling with this now. Any pointers will be great help.

Thanks
Sue

Susan Young
Hello Dieter,

There are no ’Errors’in the log file.

:-(
Dieter Wambach
Susan

I never had this message but to get a little closer to the reason:

MPP is supported only up to MSP2003 - my assumption that you use higher.
If you’ll export this project in P6 format and reimport into a different area of you EPS: What happens?

Good luck!
Dieter