Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Oracle and Primavera Release P6 v7

26 replies [Last post]
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

Oracle and Primavera released the copy of Primavera 6 Version 7.0 last September 8, 2009.

The following features are new or improved in P6 version 7.0.

Branding changes
1. Timesheets is now Progress Reporter. The Group Server, which hosted the Timesheets application, is now called the Progress Reporter server.
2. Contract Manager is now Contract Management.

Hours per timeperiod set per calendar
1. A new administrative preference on the Admin Preferences, Time Periods tab, enables the default hours per timeperiod to be defined for each calendar, rather than defined globally in Admin Preferences. The values specified for Hours per Time Period are used to convert hours to other time increments for display, and to convert all non-hourly time increments to hours for storage in the database. Defining the hours per time period per calendar results in more accurate display, conversion, and storage of data when users view or enter data in time units other than hours. See Defining default hours per time period in calendars for details.

Auto-number activity IDs when pasting activities
1. When copying and pasting activities, you can now specify new activity IDs for pasted activities. You can automatically increment existing IDs, specify new auto-numbering properties, or replace a specific number of characters with new characters. You can specify new activity IDs for pasted activities after you use the Copy WBS Options dialog box to copy and paste a WBS element or the Copy Activity Options dialog box to copy and paste an activity.

Renumbering activity IDs
1. You can now select activities within a single project in the Activity Table and renumber the selected activity IDs. You can automatically increment existing IDs, specify new auto-numbering properties, or replace a specific number of characters with new characters.

Display a progress line in the Gantt Chart
1. A progress line can be applied to the Gantt Chart in the Activities window. The progress line is a way to graphically trace progress on activities and to quickly see how a project is performing relative to the baseline project. See Apply a Progress Line to a Gantt Chart for details.

Add activity code values on the fly
1. You can now create new activity code values while assigning activity codes. See Assign activity codes and values to activities and Select Activity Code Value dialog box for details.

Display activity units and costs for remaining late dates
1. You can display unit and cost values in activity usage and activity profiles by both remaining early and remaining late dates. Previously, the display was limited to the display of remaining early dates at the activity level. See Project/Activity Usage Profile Options dialog box for details.

XLS import
1. A new global privilege, Import XLS, controls the ability to import XLS files into the module. Previously, the ability to import XLS files was controlled by a global privilege that also controlled XER and MSP import.

P6 integration with Oracle ERP and Fusion
1. ERP integration - A new project privilege, Allow Integration with ERP Systems, allows integration with an ERP system.
2. New project-level fields - To support integration with Oracle ERP systems and Fusion products, there are two new project-level fields. You can display these fields in the Projects window, Tracking window, and project reports.
o The Integrated Project field indicates if the project is integrated with an Oracle ERP or Fusion project. If you are assigned the new “Allow Integration with ERP System” privilege for a project, you can integrate the P6 project with an Oracle ERP system using P6 Web Access. Refer to the P6 Web Access Help for more details.
o The Last Apply Actuals Date field displays the most recent date timesheet actuals that were applied to the project. This date is used to determine if new, approved timesheet data exists when P6 data is sent to the ERP system.

Calendar used for ro1led up duration and unit values
1. The calendar used for calculating rolled up duration and unit values can vary. Previously, the default global calendar was always used. See How data is summarized for details.

Licensing replaced by module access
1. The Users dialog box Licensing tab is now the Module Access tab. Use this tab to grant access to P6 modules. Within P6 Project Management, administrators use the Users dialog box to grant users access to any of the following modules of the product suite:
o Project Management
o Progress Reporter
o Web Access Portfolios
o Web Access Projects
o Web Access Resources
o Integration API
o Web Services

User count
1. You can also use the Users dialog box to quickly display the number of users assigned to access each P6 module. This will be helpful in tracking how many licenses are assigned to P6 since the removal of the license file constraint. See List number of users having access to P6 modules for details.

Copy baseline
1. You can now select and copy a baseline to create a new baseline while retaining the selected baseline.

Progress Reporter Administrator
1. Progress Reporter can now be administered using the Progress Reporter Administrator. To avoid conflicts, most Progress Reporter administrative settings have been removed from the Project Management module. In Admin Preferences, the Timesheet Privileges tab and most options on the Timesheets tab have been removed.

Unfortunately, I found out that I think I am not sure if this is a bug or maybe not.

1. In "Resource Usage Profile" --> Resource Usage Profile Options, Graph Tab, "Calculate Average", "Divide interval totals by:" If you divide units, this feature is not working. However, if it is cost then it works fine.

2. The unit in the horizontal scale (e.g. 1000h) is not working properly. Eventhough you will tick or untick the check box next to "Show Unit Label" in the User Preferences --> Time Units --> Units Format.

You can check this out and tell us what are the other bugs in P6 v7.

Regards,

Arnold

Replies

Milind Pandhare
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Arnold
i uninstall p6 .2.1 and then install p6.7
then primavera install oracal database with P6
then i tried again i uninstall everything including database .
i install version 6.2.1 the database was Sql Server2005
then i install ver6.7 then only that upgrade my primavera P6 .
now my database is SQL server .
That day i ask question abt oracal .Actuly i dont want ORACAL as my database
now i am happy with SQL :) because when i tried to Instal Primavera SDK with Ver6.7 it ask so many thing wich i were not aware about that ...username password......ect ect.
but i can configure Database with SQL easily
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 12 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
The rumours is

there will be a new version P6 v10

and thereafter, every year there will be a new release:

v11, v12, v13, etc.

Another rumours is that the P6 will eventually re-invent into the same functionality as P3 ver 3.1 but this one in terms of nano,

by the way, Why nano?

And of course with Oracle on board, PP really needs some experts from oracel to guide us, debunk rumours, etc.

What im looking forward is some with a name and designation stating: Oraclce experts or oracle representative in PP, or maybe just the humble

Oracle whize kid, ask and you will be answered.

Thank you
Scarlett
Arnold Puy

You are welcome.

Sachin Nair
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Arnold...
Arnold Puy
Hi Sachin,

Yes, there is a feature in Edit --> Renumber Activity IDs. When you copy a WBS with mark the Activities in the "Copy WBS Options" it will prompt you to "Renumber Activity IDs dialog box (i.e. Prefix, Suffix & Increments). As well as, in the Activities Window.

Regards,

Arnold
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I’ll just wait for version 9 to come out...P6 + P3 = version 9
Sachin Nair
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All

Just a simple question. Has P6 V7 made any advancement in inserting activities with Prefix, suffix, auto increaments etc.

Thanks in advance
Arnold Puy
Hi Mesdward,

With P6 v6.2.1 "Progress Line", this feature is not yet supported.

Wherein P6 v7, "Progress Line" is already part of their enhancement. You can find this feature in View Menu --> Progress Line.

Regards,

Arnold
Mesdward Teniozo
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Arnold,

With reference to your earlier information about the new version of P6.7, i would like to confirm about the progress line in the earlier version of P6 on how to show it (if ther’s any).

Thank you in advance.
Arnold Puy
Hi Milind,

What do you mean "now it is Oracle instead of SQL"?

If you have installed your P6 v7 standalone, it is the same steps with P6 v6x the only thing is that, the installation wizard will let you choose the Industry selection.

Now, if I understood you correctly, your database is configured using standalone with Oracle XE. If it is, then try the following:

Install the Stand-alone P6 v7:

1. Open the Client_Applications folder and double-click on the setup.exe file.
2. Click Next on Welcome screen.
3. Select the Industry to determine terminology and default settings for calculation. This replaces the entry for product code.
The industry you select determines application defaults, calculation settings, and the sample data that is installed with the client modules.
4. Select Primavera Standalone.
5. Choose and Installation Location
6. Choose a Common Files installation location.
7. Choose whether or not you would like sample projects to be added to the database.
8. Choose Program Directory.
9. New for standalone with Oracle XE, users now have to enter a password to be used for all the database users. For security purposes we no longer set the default password automatically.
NOTE: Oracle database passwords are not supported with multi-byte characters.
10. Click install to begin the installation.
11. Oracle XE, Project Management and Methodolgy Management databases will then be installed.
12. Click Finish to complete the installation.
13. Choose whether to restart your machine to fully complete the installation.

NOTE:
Prerequisites
• Make sure your computer is running Windows XP Professional (sp3) or Windows Vista (sp2).
• You must have administrator rights to your computer
• If installing on a 64-bit OS, the Oracle 11g client is also required to be installed.

Users and database aliases for stand-alone installations
When Oracle XE is installed, there will be 3 new default users for both for both Project Management and Methodology Management:

For Project Management the default users are
ADMPRM$PM
PRIVPRM$PM
PUBPRM$PM

For Methodology Management the default users are
ADMPRM$MM
PRIVPRM$MM
PUBPRM$MM

The names of the default database aliases are ORAPMDB and ORAMMDB.
The passwords for these users will be the password you provide during installation.

For more information refer to Solution ID: prim83344

Regards,

Arnold
Milind Pandhare
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Guys can any body tell me how to configure Database for Version 7
i tried to install SDK
but fail to configure database .Now my Project management Module is also not working
itried User name and pasword ’’Privuser’’ it stop working :(
now it is Oracal instade of SQL
Arnold any idea ?
Arnold Puy

You are welcome Shahul.

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Thanks Arnold
Arnold Puy
Hi Shahul,

If you have the older version of Primavera, you can then upgrade to P6 v7.

Try to visit http://edelivery.oracle.com/ to download any Oracle product that is currently available to license.

Regards,

Arnold
Shah. HB
Is the product is out in the market?
Arnold Puy
Hi Pat,

Of course I am. Let’s not discuss here about our personal information. Just send me an email and I will let you know.

Regards,

Arnold
pat Gatus
User offline. Last seen 14 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Arnold,

Are you a filipino pre?san ka nakabase ngaun?
Arnold Puy
Hi Pat,

"Walang Problema" (No Problem), I am happy and willing to help. Here is my email address: primavera6@live.com

Regards,

Arnold
pat Gatus
hi arnold,

thank you very much for the info... i really appreciate it,and if i am not asking for too much is it okay if ever i have some queries in my planning in P6 i will just contact you?can you give me your email address? if possible or if its ok?

thanks & regards,

Pat
Arnold Puy
Hi Pat,

I tried again and again what you are looking for but unfortunately NO success, even in P6 v7.0 you cannot assign resources using global change. You can only replace resources but you can’t assign.

Why not try the easiest way.

Regards,

Arnold
pat Gatus
hi Arnold,

First of all i am sorry if i am like a broken record its just that i want to clarify some things in P6. is it possible in p6 version 7 to assign resources in the library globally in my activities in primavera

thanks
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks. for the info.... any tips and tricks out there?
Shah. HB
Does the software is out in market for sale?
António Faria
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
it’s available the update?
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
What about forward/backward compatibility from previous versions?
Shah. HB
Hope they would have come up with more features