Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

is P6 latest version working out

7 replies [Last post]
Jason LI
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all
I’m wondering if P6 latest version can export the baseline together or still need separately do it.

Another question is when you export a project the layout related to the project will export together like P3 or not.

Third question is when you open a project it will use the last layout you used, but not belong to this opening project, not like P3 use the layout of the project you are opening.
Its inconvenient, If the P6 solved the question.

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Pratap,

I’m not a programmer as well (just a below average user) so I’m afraid I cannot help you with that.

Just thinking that in "global terms" i.e. in the network, if you impose "global codes" would that mean you’ll be having uniform outputs from the projects (i.e. Layouts; Filters; currencies; calendars; etc)?

For the "calendar" alone I believe that could be very complicated considering the uniqueness of certain project(s), so you’ll end-up using global calendar for all your projects.? Well, that will serve the purpose of "enterprise"

Another thing, considering that Project(s) has unique Project Manager(s) as well, what will happen to their decisive powers (pertaining to each individual project)? Will "global codes" can control it?

I hope this will help...

regards
Pratap Dinahar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hey Anoon,
sure, you’re welcome. (:
Well, by global, I meant the codes, across all projects.
Hmm, as I said, this way, it is pretty rudimentary.
Making project codes, global just for the sake of the layouts makes it too complicated.
Stuff, like renaming the codes and everything, I mean.
I’m sure that there is a better way, and someone must be sure to be knowing it.
Please help, people! ):
Anoon Iimos
Hi Pratap,

That’s very kind of you, THANKS a LOT. But I believe I still don’t get it, when you say Global I presumed that would affect the whole enterprise or all projects?

I’m working on a local installation and as well as in the network, and I believe "export/import" function is a must, but I’m not an "admin-superuser" so modifying layouts in a global manner would be impossible for me.

Again, please be kind to explain further...

regards,

p.s. I just hope my Boss will not see this post...
Pratap Dinahar
Hi Anoon.

Well, when grouping is done to create layouts.. For instance, when activities are grouped by masterformat codes, and you get a layout.
Those codes have to be defined at the global level, i.e., they must be global codes. And not project specific.
When I create, save and import layouts this way, everything works out well.
But when I use project codes the same way, it simply doesn’t work.
By the way, the format of the columns that you use for each layout gets saved no matter what kind of codes you use.
But sadly, that’s the only thing that gets through when project specific codes are used. Heh.
Pratap Dinahar
Sadly, nope.

The layouts get exported fine. But the criteria for a successful export and import is that, the grouping and sorting done in those layouts must use activity codes in the global level.

Makes it a pain.

If someone has a better way, please let me know.
I’ve been breaking my head over this for quite a while.

Thanks.
Anoon Iimos
Pratap,

What do you mean by saying: "But the criteria for a successful export and import is that, the grouping and sorting done in those layouts must use activity codes in the global level"?

Will you be very kind to explain further?

regards
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Unfortunately none of them.