Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Updating (Labor Units not Earning)

7 replies [Last post]
Civ Oczalev
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Here is the scenario:

Originally, activity A has a duration of 7 days and labor units of 100.

However, during the course of the construction, activity A takes 21 days to complete.

When updating and I put 14 days as the remaining duration, the activity does not earn any units...though in reality it does.

Is there a fix to this? Or should i just manually enter earned units (which does not seem right).

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

this post is from 2009 not sure that its still revelant over a decade later

Marc Lum Lock
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline

Civ,

I've tried it as well and had the same issue: my settings were "Fixed Duration and Units" and "Physical % Complete."

I think the issue is that Physical % and Labor units do not seem to be directly related. As such, I would able to update the actual units under the Acitivity Resources Tab, and manually updating the "Actual Units" heading. If you don't see it under your resources tab, you would need to right click "Customize Resource Columns".

I hope this helps.

Please See attached Photo

image_2021-07-28_173130.png

image_2021-07-28_172906.png

Douglas Murphy
User offline. Last seen 11 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Are you using physical or duration as the % complete? Also do you have an actual start against the activity? If no actual start and/or physical % complete = 0 then no progress will be recorded

Peter Nicol
User offline. Last seen 13 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
PS - Duration type doesn’t impact whether an activity earns or not.

when you changed the percent complete type to physical - did you enter a % in the physcial column (ie. type it in) (i am just checking).

To see whether you are earning @ an activity level... in the activity view add the column "Performance Percent Complete". If you have setup the WBS correctly (earned value settings) for calculating performance percent complete. This should equal either duration, physcial or units (depending on which percent complete type you have set the activity too).

If all of the above is working then it’s worth also showing the "Budget at Completion - labor units" column too.

remember :

earned value - labor units = performance % complete x BAC - labor units.

so those 2 fields i mentioned must not be 0 to work.

PS - if BAC is 0, then there is something wrong with your baseline.

Remember if you want to rollout performance % complete (you will need costs in the schedule - even if they are an average rate)

- jajang

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 days ago. Offline
Civ
Fixed duration and units means you plan with:
- fixed duration and modify for started activities by remaining duration or expected finish date
- fixed units and modify for started activities by remaining units
You’ll have to regard both.

Regards
Dieter
Civ Oczalev
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
I tried "physical %" but it did not earn units.

I tried "units %" and it earned units.

Is this alright or one of my settings is incorrect?

BTW my "Duration Type" is Fixed Duration & Units.

Peter Nicol
User offline. Last seen 13 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there civ,

I’m personally new on here.. but i have your answer.

quick explanation of how P6 calculates EV:

Earned Value = Performance % complete x Budget at completion (usually your baseline)

Performance % complete = Activity % complete (this is the default setting unless you have changed it at a WBS level)

Activity % complete = Percent complete type (duration, units or physcical)

In this case you likely have your percent complete type = duration (correct ?)

Now duration % complete = 0% in the above case because you still have 7 days left of the work which says that you have still not earnt any work by this case (of course this is not the case so i would recommend you use Physcial % complete for this if you want to use EV correctly - this means you enter the % complete manually yourself when updating - ie. you would need to work that % out by looking at the physical work done (in real life that is)

- Pete