Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P5/6 WBS Import???

4 replies [Last post]
Tony Scott
User offline. Last seen 13 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

We have a rather large WBS that currently exists in Excel. We need to add this WBS to Primavera for several reasons, one of which is communication to our Project Management system (Prism). I am *not* interested in manually keying the WBS into the system, but according to POINT importing the WBS isn’t "possible".

Has anyone found a workaround or solution??? Is there someway that we can transfer the data?

Tony

Replies

Tony Scott
It has been a very difficult transition for our team from P3 to P5 (soon to P6). Some of the "advances" that are being touted for P6, I have yet to see working in our environment. The concept of construction guys entering their progress and their own activities into the master schedule may sound good, but has anyone checked with the construction guys???

Tony
Richard Rush
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Tony,

We have to remember that p3.1 and P6 are totally unrelated.

P3.1 is preferred and uded by experienced planning engineers.

P6 is used by data entry clerks on the railways.

P6 would have had no foothold then and no constituency in the UK now if Bechtel had not been on the Channel Tunnel Rail Link!!
Tony Scott
Richard,

I spent a bit of time playing with the P3 tools to import the WBS (it is amazing how quickly one forgets P3!), but was hoping for a better solution (to avoid some truncation that will be necessary for P3s limits). I hadn’t really considered MS Project, but that might be an acceptable method.

I’m dumbfounded that importing the WBS is such an ordeal - one would think that Primavera could have anticipated that request!

Thanks a lot!

Tony
Richard Rush
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Tony,

I have 2 methods, neither are pretty but can save all that boring typing.

Method 1 : Use MS Project, then import to P6.

Method 2 : Use Project.xls, Activity.xls and P3.1, then import into P6.

In the nicest possible way I do not intend to answer questions on this, I have laid out the pointers and readers will have to experiment and learn the hard way, as I did.