Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Status Issue in P5!

3 replies [Last post]
Mohsen M
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

Every week that I status my programme the remaining works bars will become same as the target bars for many activities. For example, I have an activity with actual start on 8 Sep 08, the status date is 21 Nov 08 and it will be finished on 18 Dec 08. The target bar for this activity is 20 Jan 09. Now, if I status the programme to 28 Nov 08 the remaining work will be planned to finish on 20 Jan 09. Same issue with many other activities in the programme??

Regards,
Mohsen

Replies

Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohsen,

It is really a surprising behaviour of your P5 program to adjust update on actual start. As to this date, I have not yet encountered such a problem so I can’t give further reply. I’ll do some experiment myself to figure it out. Maybe you can give further details on your bars configuration and schedule settings so that everyone may have a thought on this subject.

Regards,

Ferdinand
Mohsen M
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Ferdinand,

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try them.

That particular activity that I mentioned was an example. I have some other activities which are behind the target bar and once I status them, they are brought back into the time. A very surprising thing for me is change to the “actual start” of a few activities when I status the programme??

Regards,
Mohsen
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohsen,

It seems like your project is on time or advanced by one month in schedule. It is maybe because of your timely execution that your project’s remaining works always fall on the target bars. Try experimenting on these scheduling options in P5 and compare its results:

1. Retained Logic, the remaining duration of a progressed activity is not scheduled until all predecessors are complete.
2. Progress Override, network logic is ignored and the activity can progress without delay.
3. Actual Dates, backward and forward passes are scheduled using actual dates.

Simply sharing.

Ferdinand