Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

how to work with Physical % Completed in P6?

9 replies [Last post]
suresh KJ
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

I have created a Program schedule in which Schedule as to updated with help of Physical Quantities (EG) estimated RCC qty 1000cum & Actual completed 500 Cum , 50 % completed. so that we can see %Completed in WBS Summary.

I know it can possible with Physical % Completed. But i dont know to how to input & work?

pls help me in this?

Replies

Muhammad Qaiser S...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Kannan,

Thanks for your help but how can I use earned value in P6? I don't know the use & way of earned value in p6

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 2 days 22 hours ago. Offline

Hi muhammad,

The actuals you should input. The P6 will calculate the actuals based on the remaining duration eventhough the physical type is used.

Try to use the earned value-it will give you the values against your percentage complete.

Regards

Kannan

Muhammad Qaiser S...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Friends,

Some body can help me in P6?

I am working on P6. I am using Physical % Complete for the project and activities..I have assigned 2 types of Resources like Budgeted Labour Units( MANHOURS) and Budgeted NonLabour units(Quantities).When I start an activity of "excavation for foundation" and physically it is completed 30%.So, I put 30% physical % complete in P6.After Scheduling by Pressing F9,It gives me the value of Actual Labour Units(Man Hours) & Actual Non Labour Units(Quantities) less than that of 30%.

Example:

Excavation having 1000 ManHours & 500 Quantity. After 30% Physical % Complete Actula MANHOURS should be 300 & Actual Quantity should be 150.But these values are only 75.6 Manhour and 37 Quantity in Resource bar in actual units at bottom of P6 Display .What should I do in this case?

Yours urgent & quick response is needed in this regard.

jeoffrey reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Suresh,

You can use Weighted Steps. Whenever you will put progress in your step it will automatically calculate the progress to activity. See EST. WEIGHT IMPORT thread below.

Cheers,
JEFF
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Suresh,
What other status information will you be inputting?

Will you be using real actuals or computed actuals?
Will you be providing an updated ETC agaist the resources?

Also dependant on the type of activity and the duration type you will get different answers throughout the data entry. Sequence of data entry can sometimes affect the outcome as well.

Andy
suresh KJ
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
In this i am going use only the quantities. resources will be involved in it.

but i want the final output in the WBS bar as percentage.

Andrew Dick
My current schedule is using steps as suggested by Jeff earlier.

It is an engineering deliverables based schedule, where-by I have a budgeted qty of deliverables/documents for each Schedule activity (work package).

The deliverables take physical progress when they are submitted via document control to a review or approval gate per the contract requirements.

Each step within the activity is weighted the same as the weight of the progress gate in the doc control system.
When I update I use the qty deliverables at each gate divided by the budget qty deliverables for the package to calculate the individual step precent complete.

It wouldn’t matter if its documents or bricks that are the quantities being measured, the idea would work in the same manner.

I also have the engineering resources assigned to the activities, mainly to work out the baseline histograms. Once the progress is being done I use a couple of global changes to calculate my actuals and maintain end dates.
I can’t put in real actuals as our timesheet system was set up differently (Maybe next time)

What this means is that actual always equals earned and remaining will be budget - earned. Not the perfect world but I at least know what’s going on and can encourage the engineering team that they still need to work out a remaining effort for me, and also add any deliverables that come up later.

Is it right???? I don’t know.

Does it work??? Yes

Will it prove itself to be robust???? Not sure yet, time will tell

What it does do is hopefully provide a methodology that will work with our new doc control system, and take the engineers out of the loop for the normal % complete guesstimate plus enough to get out of trouble calc that they seem to have done in the past.

This way if they haven’t submitted the document for review and it hasn’t then returned from review all signed up they don’t get the EV, bad luck for them.

Anyhow that’s a real quick run through on how I’m doing it.
Andy
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 1 min ago. Offline
Andy,
Just a quick note if my understanding is correct. Is it not possible to setup timesheet same as your production steps so you can get the real actual and not the calculated assumptions?

What I did on my project is using timesheet integrated to P6 and automatically update actual hrs base on timesheet. I created an equivalent Account Code to Timesheet code to book their hours so I get the correct data.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Andrew Dick
Rodel,
With this particular schedule I don’t have any greater detail than the work packages or engineering deliverables packages.
There are still too many of those to warrant the setting up of detailed time sheets (Unless I used the timesheets within P6 - We don’t have that capability in our area at this time) I’m not even allowed to have the SDK :-(

I shall ponder your method and see if I am able to do the same, I fear not on this job, but possibly the next one??????

Andy