Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Leveling Resources

14 replies [Last post]
Yusuke Kamui
User offline. Last seen 14 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,
Does anyone know how to UNDO the leveling of resources in P5? I have a schedule and I level the resources and the end date was pushed out to 2 yrs from now!! How to undo it??

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Yusuke Kamui
Thanks Alan and for all others who have responded to this thread.
Alan Phillips
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Alan Phillips
Yasuke,
The early units are what is calculated based on the forward pass of the schedule analysis and the late are what is calculated from the backward pass. The difference between the two is "Total Float".

So to answer your question, it is NONE of your suggestions.

The manpower required for August is only the "Remaining Early Units" = 49.5

The limit is the total number of each resource available in the Resource Pool.
Available Units is the difference is between what has already been allocated and the limit.

Please BEG your manager to do even a basic course in Resources :)

I don’t know if you are aware that Primavera has an Online Interaction Service and Knowledgebase with answers to everything you have asked. It also has online manuals and everything to support your project. It is free to use as long as you have a current license and maintenance agreement.
The web address is:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards

Alan

Yusuke Kamui
Hi,
One last thing, I did what Oliver and Alan said and I have this data from P5 Resource Usage Profile Graph:

Month of August
Budgeted Units Total = 50.0 Average Manpower
Actual Units = 0.0 Average Manpower
Remaining Early Units = 49.5 Average Manpower
Overallocated Early Units = 20.6 Average Manpower
Remaining Late Units = 49.5 Average Manpower
Overallocated Late Units = 20.6 Average Manpower
Limit = 28.9 Average Manpower
Available Units = 0.0 Average Manpower

So to get the needed manpower in August it is the Overallocated Early Units + Overallocated Late Units = 41.2 ??

OR

Is it the sum of Remaining Early Units + Remaining Late Units = 99 ??

OR

Get the maximum figure between Remaining Units and Overallocated Units, in that case the highest figure is 49.5 ???

Which one?

Thanks again...

Yusuke Kamui
Thank you all agin for your help. I’ll give it a shot then hopefully my boss will approve for me to attend that Advance Resource Analysis training.
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Yasuke,

If you have a resource loaded project plan and you look at its resource usage profile in the activities view you will see the number of remaining hours scheduled.

Right click on the resource usage profile and choose resource usage profile options, then click on the graph tab and tick the calculate average box.

Then tick divide by hours per time period.

This gives you a profile showing the equivilant number of people required, per time period, to dispatch your current schedule.

HTH
Oli
Alan Phillips
Yasuke,
I would suggest you run a resource loading report, which can be saved directly to a spreadsheet, and divide the number of hours it forecasts each week by the the number of hours worked per resource each week. This would give you the number of men you need.
Alternatively, if you want a resource histogram, go to the resource usage profile, right click on the graphic area, then select Resource Usage Profile Options. Click on the graph tab, and then select "Calculate Average". Input the number of hours worked by each resource for the period in the "Divide Intervals Total By" and enter "Average Manpower" in the Unit of measure box.
This will display graphically what you need.
Regards
Alan
Yusuke Kamui
Hi,
Thank you all for your replies, I really need to have that advance training but due to lack of time I hope you can give an input now. I don’t want to use the resource leveling to resolve overallocation because it will push out the schedule by 2 years!! So the only way to resolve the overallocation is to increase my manpower.

In my point of view, I cannot see directly how Primavera will tell me how many more manpower to resolve it. So I threw that question here in the forum. Given the data for next month:

Overallocated Early Units = 142h
Overallocated Late Units = 516h
Remaining Early Units = 1338h
Remaining Late Units = 1712h
Budgeted Units = 1338h
Limit = 1195h
Cum Budgeted Units = 7675h
Cum Actual Units = 225h
Cum Remaining Early Units = 7263h
Cum Remaining Late Units = 2953h

So please tell me now, how many people I need ??? I know it is easy for you or even obvious but can you share it?

Thanks!

Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 13 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Yasuke,

The answer is hidden in your question. When you refer to overallocation, that actually means those are the additional resources required to complete the tasks. I think you are looking for a field where only this overallocated numbers (units) are displayed. Primavera has no such fields & this has to be interpreted through histograms & report tables.

Regards
Naveen
Alan Phillips
Yasuke,
I am confused as to why you think you have to calculate the required manpower as Primavera automatically does this based on the progress you have input on the activities. Overallocation of units is solved by levelling.
View the Resource Usage Profile and it will show you actual units you have entered, i.e. before timenow, and future forecastes figures, i.e. after timenow, for every resource.
I suggest you then book the Advanced Resource Analysis course.
Kind Regards
Alan
Yusuke Kamui
Hi,
Thanks again for the reply. Actually resource analysis is not covered in the Primavera Basic Course here, there’s another course for that named "Primavera Advance Resource Analysis" which I haven’t attended yet, are you?

I’ve been using MSProj for most of the time and never used P5 before.

Now going back to my basic question below, what fields will you use to calculate the needed manpower count to resolve all overallocation and compensate or cover for the delayed/late units from the previous months??
Alan Phillips
Yasuke,

With the greatest of respect, and judging by the amount of really basic questions you have asked in all the other threads, may I suggest you do the Primavera basic training course. Is this the first planning job you have ever had?

Kind Regards
Alan
Yusuke Kamui
Thanks for the reply, I’ll give it a try.

One more thing, in the resource analysis P5 have the fields:

-Remaining Early Units
-Remaining Late Units
-Limit
-Cum Budgeted Units
-Cum Actual Units
-Overallocated Early Units
-Overallocated Late Units

Which among the fields above will I use to calculate the needed "Limit" (that is, how many more people) per month to resolve all overallocation and compensate for the late units/work from the previous months??

Alan Phillips
Just schedule the project (F9) and everything will return back to their original dates.