Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Can not connect P6 database

8 replies [Last post]
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all.
I install P6 database in Window server2003, using Oracle Express Edition 10g database.
I install Oracle client in my laptop (Win Vista) but I do not know how to connect to P6 database.
When create database configuration to connect to P6 database it produce eror:
Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified;

Any help is appreciate.
Thanks & regard

Replies

K D
Hi all.
From Primavera POINT The reason is Oracle client I used to install is not capatible for Vista. I’m downloading a new version.
I will install it soon to check it out.

Thanks & regards
Ahmet Cetin
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
It is just one of the reason actually. The error you’ve got caused by connection. The reason can be:
- Wrong server name
- Wrong database name
- User name/password error (for pubuser and privuser)

When you install P6 in standalone mode you’re also installing MSSQLExpress, and all connection settings made automatically, so you won’t get any error. If you install the database using the scripts manually (which is the case if you want to change the collation) then you need to create privuser and pubuser manually and assign them to the database, and this might be the reason.

If you installed the database using setup, then it also creates the pubuser and privuser with their default passwords (pubuser and privuser, respectively), so when you are connecting using the client, there shouldn’t be a problem as long as you supply the server name and the database name correctly.

To be sure, check the database users in database servers, if pubuser and privuser are allowed to use the database.

Hope this helps,

Ahmet Cetin
Visit PrimaveraTools.com

Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials, Outlook Plugin, Articles
K D
Hi Ahmet.
I install Primavera client on server 2003 for testing standalone mode. It can connect successfully using pubuser account.
So do you think the reason is pubuser account?
Ahmet Cetin
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hello,

Try this:

alter user pubuser identified by newpassword

Then run Primavera client, on the login dialog, click on elipse button (...) in Database. Highlight the alias, and click on Configure. At the ’Select or Create Alias screen’, click on Next. At the ’Configure Server Connection’ screen, click on Next. When prompted to ’Enter Public Login Information’, overtype the old pubuser password with the new password and click on Next. Click on Next and Finish to complete the configuration and login to Project Management.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ahmet Cetin
Visit PrimaveraTools.com

Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials, Outlook Plugin

K D
Thanks Dieter.
I’m also desperate on this error.
Need help from a hero. :-)
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 days ago. Offline
Hi
Allways when I had this error message, the problem was on IT-side - TNSNAMES, Pub- and Privuser not assigned to db, line, name of the server, ...
Sorry, no further idea.
Dieter
K D
Hi Dieter.
I just finish setting up the Net service configuration of Oracle. About Oracle respect ,it can connect successful to server.
But when configuring Primavera connection, it produce error:
Bad public user name or password. dbExpress Error: Unknown Error Code ’1804’;

I thought my Primavera client have some problem. I reinstall it, but error still happen.
Now stucking here.

Regards
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 days ago. Offline
Did you check the TNSNAMES?