Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Work Product and Documents

8 replies [Last post]
Johann van der Merwe
User offline. Last seen 16 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

My previous post disappeared, so here I go again!

I need an utility for importing bulk information into project Work Products and Documents, Primavera P6. Anyone know of such a utility?

Kind Regards,
Johann

Replies

Nadia Merli
User offline. Last seen 10 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all,

I have tried the proposed solution and I can see the document name into the UDF Doc Name, but I cannot do a global change to have the document name into WorkProducts and Documents because "WorkProducts and Documents'is not displayed.

Can anybody assist on this?

Thanks in advance

Nadia

Johann van der Merwe
Dear Imran,

Please forgive my ignorance, but Global-Change only applies to activities, activity resource assignments and project expenses. The Work Products and Document fields are not accessible. Am I missing something?

Regards
Johann
Imran Arshad
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Johann,
After Importing u can all your desired data in user defined field.If u want to see the same in Work Product & Document functionality then use global change u will get ur results.

Imran
Johann van der Merwe
Hi Imran,
I have tried a similar technique, but I do need the Work Product and Document functionality.
Thanks
Johann
Imran Arshad
Dear Johann,
Yes u can have Doc name, Author, & Doc No against your activites.Follow following steps.

1.Go to Enterprises then User Defined field add Doc Name,Author,& Doc Number as text

2.In ur Schedule create these columns.

3.Export ur schedule to Excel

4.Select Activities only for Export

5.while going through export tabs, U will come across Export Tempelates tab click modify then add Doc name,Author,& Doc No in columns and click next.

6.U will have a file with mentioned columns.

7.Add details against customised columns as per ur requirement

8.After adding Data against each activity then save it

9.Go to P6 and select import and specify in the project from which u had exported.

MAKE SURE THAT U DO CAHNGES IN THE EXPORTED FILE AND THEN IMPORT THE SAME.Also steps 5 is important.
Hope fully u will get ur results

Imran
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Johan.
According to me, I’m affraid there isn’t any tool helping in this issue.
Regard
Johann van der Merwe
Dear Imran,
I accept that the linking for Activities & WBS’s and File location be done separately, but the bulk import of documents (Doc name, Author, Doc number) form an excel file would be of great assistance. If you have such a solution, please provide details.

Thanks,
Johann
Imran Arshad
Dear Johann,
For each activity u have to attach required file.U can import list of document from Excel but for soft copies attachments u have to attach files in Work Products & Document tab.
Also kindly elborate ur question if not clear.

Imran