Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path

3 replies [Last post]
Jiayin Yao
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

In P5, the critical path was defined as the total float less than or equal to 0.

When filter the critical path, P5 does not pick up all the activities which total float equals 0.
But when I define critical path as total float equals or less than 1. P5 pick up all the activities with 0 float. I think it is something to do with the hours and times. Can anyone tell me how the P5 works?

And also can anyone please explain the longest path, when should I use it?

Thank you very much.

Replies

Jiayin Yao
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ronal and Dieter,

I got it . That is great .

Thank you very much .

Reagrds

Jia yin
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Longest Path is a process, similar to but different from CPM and total float. Longest path is a better measurement of the critical path than using total float, as tracking total float ‘fails’ in instances where multiple activity calendars, LOE, interruptible activities, resource leveling, constraints, and out-of-sequence activities are used. I have an article published on the web about this and enhancements to longest path at http://ronwinterconsulting.com/published.htm. Good luck!
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Jiayin
The reason is a very simple one:
Primavera does calculate with decimals. If you’ll change your preferences that decimals will be displayed, you’ll realize that those activities you are missing have a float of 0. which is greater than zero.
Edit --> User Preferences --> Time units --> ’Show decimals
Regards
Dieter