Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

% complete between P3 & P5

5 replies [Last post]
Hazem Rady
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
i have a problem
i have a very simple P3 schedule that has only 2 or 3 activities with no resources or cost accounts.

i am updating this schedule and recording actual dates and applying %complete of the activities according to my considerations.
P3 gives me % complete of the whole project, say 35%.

i tried to import this schedule into P5 but i get different %complete.

i tried to write the schedule in P5 but i get confused between %complete types and in all ways it gives me %complete that totally differs from that i get in P3.
i want to know what to do and which one is right.

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
% Complete is dependent on the parameters you set, whether using Duration; Resource Units; Costs; Material Quantities etc. Each one (calculation) will give you a result, this maybe the same or different from the others.
Hazem Rady
dear Anoon Iimos
you said "even though, it will never give you the same results" i wonder why?
i tried all 3 %complete types in P5 and i tried to change duration type but in all ways it never gives me that same %complete i get in P3
which one is right?P3 or P5?
thanks
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
check your settings; in P3, you only got 3 options (even though, it will never give you the same results); in P5/P6, you got a lot of options in calculating % Complete, it’s up to you to determine which one will best fit your requirements.
Hazem Rady
Dear Johny Kesserwany
thank you for your kind reply but i think you didn’t understand me well
i am talking about P5 not P6 and i am talking about %complete of the project
when importing P3 into P5 i change calendars but even if made the schedule in P5 it gives you different %complete than that in P3
thanks
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
It’s a matter of Calenders P6 is converting days into hours.
when importing to P6 make the following, it MAY help! :

The following is a Primavera Knowledgebase solution:

Solution ID: prim56805

Symptom After importing a project, dates do not match with what users see in a different database.

Fix The default setting for importing calendars with a .XER file is to keep the existing version of the calendar in the database if a calendar with the same name is in the .XER file. If different versions of calendars are being used, the durations will be spread across dates differently according to holidays, work hours/day, nonwork time, etc... To be certain that you are importing the version of the calendar that is associated with the project in the .XER file, change the action for Calendars to Update Existing or Insert New. Insert New will place a "-1" at the end of the calendar name if it finds a version of it already in the destination database. Be aware that if you choose Update Existing, it will update the calendar in your database with all changes, which will effect any projects you already have this calendar assigned in.

jk

For example:

A user in database "A" has a project with 1 activity assigned to the global calendar "Standard 7 day workweek". The original duration of the activity is 7 days. The Start date is November 23 and the Finish date is November 29.

The user from database "A" exports this project to a user in database "B". Database "B" also has a global calendar called "Standard 7 day workweek", but November 28th is a non-work day (holiday) in their version.

With the import option for calendars set to Keep Existing, the user in database "B" will see the same activity with a 7 day original duration have a Start date of November 23 and a Finish date of November 30 because when spreading the 7 day duration starting from November 23, it will not include November 28th because it is non-work in the version of the calendar in database "B".

If the user in database "B" chooses Update Existing for the calendar import option, the calendar "Standard 7 day workweek" will be modified to reflect the version of it in database "A" where November 28th is not a holiday. Now, the activity starts and finishes the same dates in both database.

If the user in database "B’ chooses Insert New for the calendar import option, a new calendar called "Standard 7 day workweek-1" will be inserted into the calendar dictionary. The activity will have the same Start and Finish dates in both databases.