Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path though Multiple Projects

5 replies [Last post]
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
After all these years I have a question for you all rather than just answers!

P5/P6 encourage the use of multiple projects to model one "real world" project - but what if we want just one critical path?

Primavera’s work around (and I don’t need all you old P3 hands to tell me "use P3") is to use the multiple float paths calculation, group and sort the project by this, and kinda hope the first/second path is the real critical one?!

What is wrong with setting all the member projects to the same must-finish-by date?

Replies

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I write an article regarding How to display just One Critical path with Multiple projects open in Primavera P6.

If you're interested, kindly read it here https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/how-to-display-just-one-critical-path-with-multiple-projects-open-in-primavera-p6/

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 hours ago. Offline
Hi David
That’s why I use a finish milestone with a constraint "Must Finish By". P5/P6 then will regard those projects as one graph (=project) for calculation and I experienced proper results.
Regards
Dieter
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
Calculation of float in a multi-project scenario.

Let us assume a two project “portfolio” consisting of a “design” project and a “construction” project.

There are many interrelationships, primarily design->construction.

If neither project has a “must-finish-by” date at the project level, then when we schedule them in P5/6 the late finish of each project is assumed to be the early finish of each project.

Therefore the amount of float in an activity in the design project will be the smallest of the float imposed by its construction successor or the float imposed by its assumed “must finish-by” date.

If I want ONE float/critical path as the unmentionable 16-bit planning package offers under “Project Group Scheduling, Base Float on end of Project Group”

Then we have to set the “Must Finish by” date at the project level to the same date for each project.

This seems to work fine as far as I have tested it.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 hours ago. Offline
Hi David
"F9" --> Options --> Advanced
There you can select Multiple Float Paths. But I don’t know if it works exactly the same as in P3.
Then you can group by multiple float paths (under "General").
Set all projects to the same data date then it will calculate them as one graph.
For the "must finish by"-date I always use milestones with a mandatory constraint because I’m always aware in the activities-view. The entry in the project’s view I might forget - due to experience: will...
Regards
Dieter
Alexander Elder
User offline. Last seen 14 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Set Project CP to Longest Path
and if you now Group & Sort in this order by
Longetst Path
Then
by Project-WBS

you will have multiple projects with single critical path.
Let me know if it works

Sandy