Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resources on Level of Effort Activities

14 replies [Last post]
Kathleen Crossan
User offline. Last seen 5 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I have a several ’Level of Effort’ activities with resources assigned. When I run my manpower histogram and looke at the resource usage spreadsheet, there are 2 activities which are showing resources required way beyond the duration of the activity. I am at a loss to understand why these 2 activities are doing this.

Replies

Kathleen Crossan
Thank you for your help Karim

As you rightly say, the Planned finish in the activity layout does indeed equal the Early finish. However, the in the resource layout, the Planned finish does not equal the Late finish! This, incidentally, is not occurring with every level of effort activity in my schedule, only with some, and I am unable to find any common denominator.

regards,
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Well as i stated earlier i have different dates for the "Planned Finish" and "Early Finish" for the activities, and when i checked these dates in the Resources layout the "Planned Finish" was the same as in the Activity layout.

I think the values differ due to this:
" A level of effort activity’s duration is calculated from the earliest early start of its predecessors/successors (linked to the start end of the level of effort activity) to the latest early finish of its predecessors/successors (linked to the finish end of the level of effort activity).

A hammock activity’s duration is calculated from the earliest early start of its predecessors to the latest early finish of its successor activities."

So the "Planned Finish" date in your case should be equal to the "Late Finish".

And the "Planned Finish" column in the activity layout shows the "Finish" date by defualt which will show the "Early Finsih".

Regards.
Kathleen Crossan
It’s not the planned finish I need to equal the early finish.

In the activity details table, click on the resources tab. Then, customise the resources column to include planned finish. On some of my activities this planned finish (within the resources section of the activity table) does not equal the planned finish of the activity. How can I do a global change to ensure both are the same?
Karim Mounir
Hi,

The global change works fine with me, i just made no if-statement (ie. means to apply for all activities), then the Planned Finish = Early Finish.

It may gives an error if the Planned Finish is already equal to the Early Finish but that doesn’t affect the other activities to be updated with the new values.
Kathleen Crossan
I have tried to run a global change to change the planned finish date of the resource to equal the planned finish date of the activity , but have failed miserably!
Karim Mounir
LOL, at least in my schedule the "Planned Finish" date was different than the "Finish=Early Finish" for the activity itself (ie. not for the resource).

You can make a global change instead of changing the dates manually.

Merry X-mas.

Regards.
Kathleen Crossan
Karim - funny thing is, in my project the planned finish is the same as the early finish, but the planned finish for the resource (I added the planned finish column when I am in the resources section of the activity details table) is different. However, I can change that date manually - but its very strange that the resources planned finish date is different from the activity planned finish date.
Karim Mounir
Kathleen,

You’re right the distribution of resources was until the "Planned Finish" date rather than on the "Finish" date.

Regards.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
HMMM. Happy to look at the project if you want. We are the Primavera Reps. in Scotland, and our oil-and-gas related Primavera business is all over the world. Your tag says you are in "oil and gas", so we probably have a confidentiality agreement with your company already. If you want send me the project, a layout and a note of the problem activities to david@acsltd.co.uk.

Kathleen Crossan
yes, it’s set to early
David Kelly
Check the setting in user preferences under resource analysis. Is it set to "early" rather than "forecast"?
Kathleen Crossan
One of my colleagues suggested that I go to "Project", look in the ’Resources’ tag, in here, look at the ’Assignment Defaults’ and ensure the tick box ’Drive Activity dates by default’ is ticked. However, this box was already ticked, so made no difference to my schedule. However, within the activities, in the ’Resources’ tag, I added 2 further columns, ’Planned Start’ and ’Planned Finish’ - it was the ’Planned Finish’ date which seemed to be driving the resources out. But the strange thing was, the ’Planned Finish’ on the resource tag extended beyond the ’Planned Finish’ of the activity. I changed the ’Planned Finish’ in the ’Resources’ details manually and this seemed to work, i.e. the duration of the resources reflected the duration of the activity in the resource usage spreadsheet. I now have to check eack activity for the ’Planned Finish’ of the resources. I am perplexed!
Karim Mounir
Hi,

Actually i have also faced this problem, when i made a revised schedule and after this a "tracking" report it shows me a distribution of resources after the finish dates of the revised target for some activities!!.

And also these activities weren’t hammocks, they were task dependent.
David Kelly
Fascinating. Resource requirement/production outside of the activity’s duration is a feature I miss in Primavera E. I would love to know how you have managed it!! I have tried everything I can to achieve this. Any chance you can send me the project to look at it?