Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Assignment Data

4 replies [Last post]
Zafar Manzoor
User offline. Last seen 17 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi everyone,

I am trying to export data from Resource Assignments window in P5 to Excel to draw some S-curves. The problem is the sum of distributed resource units won’t match with the Budget units column and the weekly totals on the summary bar.
For Example budget units of 10 on an activity spanning 4 weeks are distributed as follows

Week-1 = 1
Week-2 = 4
Week-3 = 4
Week-4 = 2

Summing up to a total of 11 instead of 10.

Secondly if weekly budget of four activities is as follows;

Activity A = 6
B = 4
C = 3
D = 3.

Weekly total of these four is shown 17 instead of 16. I wonder why?
Very frustrating, because the accuracy of the curves would depend soley upon these numbers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ZM

Replies

Zafar Manzoor
If this is the case then, the software should export the answers in excel not the rounded figures. If we copy the distributed budget figures in excel, we end up having a 2% to 4% greater sum.

I would make sure though that the hours/day allocated for activities are the same as hours/day for the resource allocation. If it would make a difference at all, which I doubt.

ZM
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
I begin with, P5 stores everything in hours (even if you are working in days.) It simply divides the calculated result by 8 (or whatever you have set for ’hours/day’) and then rounds the display - not the answer.
Zafar Manzoor
That’s what I figured. A weekly distribution of budget of ’1’ for an activity spanning two weeks is distributed over two weeks as 0.5 and 0.5 and then rounded to the closest (or greater) whole number, ending up to a dustributed sum of ’2’.

Manual fine tuning becomes a laborious job if activites in question are a couple of thousands.
P3 3.1 did this job accurately, I wonder what went wrong with P5.

In Edit User Preferences there is provision for placing decimals in activity durations but not for time distributed budgets of resources.

Anyways thank you for replying. It helped.

Regards,

ZM
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 16 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Primavera is not accurate for these calculations. Reason being it divides the budgeted quantity by duration (hours) to get Units per time period and the limitation of decimals let the values roundup. This increase or decrease of 1 or 2 is very normal.

If you want to be accurate, export it to a spreadsheet, make the corrections there and then put Excel to make some beautiful graphs for you.

Regards
Rashid