Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Earned Value Calculation

4 replies [Last post]
Fritzie Lou Lapin...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi!

Good Afternoon!

Now, I’m studying Earned Value Calculation using P3 e/c soft. For those who have enough knowledge in this regards, please kindly reply to my inquiry below:

- If I input estimation weights to activities and to WBS elements, how would this affect the progress of each WBS element & to the overall project progress as well?

- I’d like to calculate earned value, is it ok not to load resource & resource units into the schedule? I’ll just input estimation weights to activities, is this enough?

Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Fritzie

Replies

uma shankar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks for all your responses.

Can I assign a resource lag for the resources? If I have a piling activity of 10 days, I want to assign the piling rig for last 5 days and in a similar manner, I want to assign a resource for the first 5 days in a 10 day activity. I tried using original lag but it is increasing the duration.

Alex Alex
User offline. Last seen 6 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Uma

Duration type matters when resources are assigned to an activity.  So setting the correct duration type is important when resource are loaded.  You can set Fixed Duration & Units/ Time  OR Fixed Duration & Units if it is the schedule is what is important for that activity.  You can use Fixed Units/Time if Resource Availability is the majour issue for an activity.  You can use Fixed Units  if Budget (cost) is what is importantas far as that activity is concerened

uma shankar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

If I want to load the programme with the cost using the resources, what precautions need to be taken with respect to duration type? O any other measures to be taken? Do I need to uncheck/check any boxes anywhere? I have been using expenses tab to cost load the prog. I would like to use it as a resource. Can someone please advise?

niles luo
User offline. Last seen 12 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
If you want to calculate earned value, resource must be loaded.
The estimation weights may not affect the progress of WBS or activities. The estimation weights is used to quickly allocate resourse.
This is my opioion.