Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Invalid Relationships

8 replies [Last post]
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,

Do u know how much milestones with invalid relationships can affect negative a time schedule on P3e??

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo.

Replies

Marcio Sampaio
Hi Dinesh,

Thats the problem. Contractos are not working in proper way. And i’m trying to show them it. But they are sayig that invalid relationships do not affect negative a time schedule.

I simulate it in a small project. And it really doesn’t affect. But if the P3e report generate after schedule the project show us a list of invalid relatioships, i think that it’s is because it’s a mistake of P3e users.

Are u agree??

Regards.
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Marcio Eduardo,

You are right.Normally, if you schedule in proper way(by defining start milestone in the first place)even P3e also will not allow you to use FF relationship.It will only stays as FF if you change the activity to a start milestone.But as far as negative float is concern, It will be same in both the cases.You can make a small schedule and try to see the difference.

Thanks & regards

Dinesh
Marcio Sampaio
Ok.

But P3e allow. If u have two activities with FF relationship and, for any reason, u decide to change one of them in a Star Milestone, P3e does not change the FF link. So it becomes in an invalid relationship.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo.
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
Hi,

P3 does not allow FF or SF relation to a start milestone and hence, you do not have to worry about that.

Thanks & regards

Dinesh
Marcio Sampaio
Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your interest.

I’m refering a links like that:

A "Start Milestone" with a FF relationship with a predecessor. "Start Milestone" does not have finish date, so a FF realtionship is invalid. I just want to know how much it affects negative a timeschedule.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
Hi,

I am sorry about that.

You were referring to invalid relationships in you reply.What do you mean by that? Inorder to justify your order you must know which relationships are invalid.It all depends on the type of work you are doing and the sequence of that works.If contractor links activties out of that sequence, those link will be invalid and you can ask them to modify them.

Regards

Dinesh
Marcio Sampaio
Dinesh,

I didn’t do the plan. I’m a fiscal of contractors plan.

I asked contractos to modify milestones with invalid relashionships, but i have to justify this order.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
Hi,

You are the right one to aswer this question as you had developed the plan, the links and activities.The milestones will be affected by all the driving predecessors and to an amount they are being pushed forward to.

Regards

Dinesh