Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

V5: Lost Data

23 replies [Last post]
Amar Aghana
User offline. Last seen 16 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Friends,

While working on the projects, unfortunately, I have deleted on resource.

This has deleted all resource loading connected with that resource in all projects.

Is there any way to restore the deleted resource back??

Urgent Help Required please

Regards, Amar

Replies

Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Marcio

Your explanation looks OK to me

Cheers
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Kevin,

Did u read my explanation to do "Job Service"?

Is it correct?

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo.
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil.
Marcio Sampaio
Amar,

I suggest u to be in contact with IT department of your company. Maybe they have the CD of Service Pack. It’s too simple to install. Or be in contact with Primavera Systems and require the CD. It wighs like 140 MB.

If u can’t, we can think about send u the CD. I don’t know if it’s correct. For me, Service Pack is a free reprodution.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo.
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Kevin Button
In V4.1 you can use Job Services to export any or all projects.
Kevin Button
Yes, 4.1 has Job Services.

Cheers
Kevin Button
Amar

I was just thinking that if your Job Services are not working you should check that the module was installed in the first place, because Job Services is not automatically installed when you install the database.

Cheers
Amar Aghana
Kevin, I read the matter. However, I do not think, this explains about backing up the data. Cheers, Amar.
Kevin Button
Amar

Just a thought - has the Job Services software been installed onto your server? If you check the document titled adminguide.pdf on your documentation CD it will explain the steps to install and start job services.

Regards
Amar Aghana
Marcio, Dinesh,

I created job services. But it did not work. What is service Pack? How do I check, that is available?
Marcio Sampaio
Amar,

No problem. Tell me if it works after u try.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo.
Amar Aghana
Marcio,

Still I have not tried your suggestions, I will reply shortly. Regards, Amar.
Amar Aghana
Dinesh, Theoritically you are correct. Unfortunately, my person washed hands after installing the software. According to him, once the software is installed, his duty ends.... They are still thinking V5 is like P3 only. Cheers, Amar.
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
If I am not mistaken, your contract administator keeps regular back ups of the server database.Check with him and you can restore the database using the old data.

Regards

Dinesh
Marcio Sampaio
Amar,

First of all u have to install "Service Pack". I think u already did it

Go to "Tools / Job Sevices";
Click "Add", give it a name and on "Service Type" choose "Export";
On "Job Datails" choose "Everyday at" (the time u want) and a place to create log file;
On "Job Options" choose the project u want to create a .XER (u can also choose an EPS level, it will create a .XER for all projects under this EPS level);
Still on "Job Options", choose the place to create .XER file.

For more security, u can create two "Job Services", one in the morning and other in the end of work day (for example).

I suggest u to do a test creating a "Job Service" (export)one hr after the time u create and check if it’s working.

Sorry for my English.

Glad to help.

Marcio Eduardo
Amar Aghana
Marcio, Can you please send the details or explain how you do this in Job services. I read in manual but not tried. - Amar.
Marcio Sampaio
Dear all,

For security of projects on my company, we program "job services" that crate back ups of all projects 2 times a day (every 08 am and 06 pm).

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Amar Aghana
Yeah, This worked as even after deleting the resources, for imported projects, labour units were retained and I could retrieve the lost data. Thanks, Amar.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
There is a possible answer, if information was imported, re-type the numerical fields
Amar Aghana
Kevin, That is fine with me. I will do both. Cheers, Amar.
Kevin Button
Amar

I like to create an XER file every day for the 2 projects I am working with, they zip up fairly small and it is easy to restore one or both projects if necessary. Because I work in a large company, the PMDB database runs on a dedicated server and the MSSQL software creates a backup every night, so I don’t have to bother with it.

If you have a stand alone database you might consider a regular XER export, and a full PMDB/MMDB backup from time to time, just in case your PC has a really bad day. I have never used version 5.0 stand alone so I don’t know what is involved with backup/restore for a MSDE database. For that you will need to read the instructions which should be on the documentation CD.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Amar Aghana
Kevin, Thanks. I think it has gone.

I had saved PMDB and MMDB in server. When I copied the saved PMDB and MMDB to hard disk, I could not see the original data.

What is the correct way of backing the data? Is it saving PMDB and MMDB or opening all projects and creating an XER file?

HTH, Amar.
Kevin Button
Amar

Unfortunately I think your resource has gone for good, unless you have a backup of your schedule somewhere. If you do, restore the project and the resource will be put back into the pool.

Regards
Amar Aghana
I have logged in and Logged out. With this I think, I will not be use even undo function