Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Import of data from MS Access to P3e (3.5.1)

8 replies [Last post]
David Garside
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of importing data into P3e from MS Access, I’m not sure what data is required yet but would probably be standard data such as durations and start / finish dates.
Would I we have to go via MS Project or P3 first ?

Regards,

Dave G

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
We have tried the SDK and it worked fine so far.
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Sorry, I forgot about the API, which I believe is bigger, better and much faster than the SDK.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Business Rules = API??
Kevin Button
Using the SDK is much better than a direct link between MS Access and the P3e database. The 2 main reasons for this are:
1. The SDK offers much more information for extracting from P3e. Some examples are: summarized units and costs at WBS level, earned values, variances, performance indicies etc. With SDK you also have extended tables, which can make life much easier when selecting data, eg the extended TASK table (X_TASK) has related information from PROJWBS, PROJECT, RSRC, and CALENDAR tables.

2. When updating the P3e tables, the SDK enforces business rules. You cannot do anything that is not available in the P3e Windows application (eg making a resource duration longer that its parent task duration).

Regards

Kevin
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Kevin, if create linkage between Access and SQL tables on P3e database, is it better than SDK?
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
You can come here on visitor visa and once you find a job then you can apply for PR.

I got a scheduler work exactly on that bases. She came here for holiday and then change her visa to working holiday vias (3 months) and we sponsor her to obtain a long term working VISA.

or any other way is to apply for a PR directly,
a uni degree with 3 years + experience & less than 35

I currently have a software developer assisting me to develop a interface software that allows me to use excel to insert, modify, & delete activities or project or EPS.
David Garside
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Kevin,
Thanks very much for that, will be useful on my next contract, just got back from my hols and due to lack of work my contract has ended, wouldn’t mind a spell in Oz, I’ve heard the Government have relaxed rules on entry ?
If poss could you recommend best means of gaining a visa,
don’t know how to contact you offline, and also don’t want to post my private e-mail, moderator, any advice ?

Regards,

David Garside
Kevin Button
Dave
You can import to P3e directly from MS Access. First you need to install the Software Development Kit (from the P3e setup CD) which enforces P3e business rules when importing data. You then have a number of options for importing, including creating update queries or writing VBA code in MS Access. You can also write code using VB, Java or C++ if you really want to go that far.
When you install the SDK you will also have access to the help files, which will show details of the database structure and also has code samples for doing various stuff with P3e, such as inserting activities.

Regards
Kevin B