Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Collecting/Entering Actual Units

5 replies [Last post]
Kelly Randolph
User offline. Last seen 18 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
We are getting ready to start creating cost and resource loaded schedules and do not use Progress Reporter. To get around this I went into Resource Assignments and created a layout that included project, resource name, wbs, cost account and activities along with with budgeted and actual units with a timescale of months/weeks. I did this and thought I did something smart, created a manual version of progress reporter timesheets!

When I tested the system I dicovered that when I enter actual units for week #1 and then move the data date into week #2, a portion of the actual units are moved into week #2. I do not want that! I want the units to stay where I entered them. The only way to do that is to give the activity a finish date.

Here is the question can anyone suggest to me a good layout/solution for collecting actual units every week or bi-weekly?

Replies

Amar Aghana
User offline. Last seen 16 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks bill.- Amar.
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Amar,

"Actual regular units" are actual units minus overtime units. If you don’t track overtime units they will always be identical.

Regards,
Bill
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Kelly & Voltaire,

Primavera Version 5, which was just released , has a feature to store "past period actuals." You define periods and then store actual units and costs in a period (monthly, weekly, whatever). Voltaire, this is similar to P3 3.1’s feature to store period performance you referenced. I think this is what you are looking for.

Regards,
Bill
Amar Aghana
User offline. Last seen 16 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

P3 e&c Ver 4.1 :

In the following option, I mean,

View > Show on Bottom > Activity Details> Resource Tab>

What is the difference between "Actual Regular Units" and "Actual Units".

Thanks, Amar.
Voltaire Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 19 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Kelly,

I have tried this out also, and unfortunately the only way to have your actual units "stay" on the period you want to is via Progress Reporter. If you enter actual units in P3e, the actual units are distributed evenly across the periods.

This is unlike P3 where it has a Store Period Performance. P3e doesnt have this feature.