Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Shutdown planning

8 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Sirs
We are facing lot of problem for the day to day look ahaeds as the shutdown is always very short duration with more than thousand activities everyday lookahead contents of 30-40 pages that is going to 30 attendees,that feels useless is there any way to report in P3

Replies

Malcolm Graham
User offline. Last seen 17 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
May I suggest that you look at a product that my company has developed for updating progress on Mobile Devices and via a web browser. Pro Tracker allows tasks to be dynamically updated in-the-field by a supervisor or an engineer. We support both Primavera and MS Project:
http://www.sensorynet.co.uk/products.jsp

Please email me at malcolmg@sensorynet.co.uk if you would like to find out more!
Forum Guest
we started using Progress Reporter last week, it works so far.
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
I am agree as just few unit could be shouted-down and other working. So any electronic device can be very dangerous to use on a "working" plant.

Also the use of the mobile phone is a lot of time not allowed.
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Please remind that not every plant will accept the use of electronic equipment! Nevertheless this option works quit well. It also can be used to monitor availability of material/spools/equipment etc. by recording deliveries/prefab.

Succes,

Ed van der Tak
ARAM Planning Consultants
The Netherlands
www.aramplan.com
Please visit projectplanning.info
Forum Guest
For progress input ease and speed, consider implementing P3e with Progress Reporter. This way the person responsible to report on the activity puts in the progress themselves. P3e can be set to not allow an actual finish until you the scheduler click okay. Progress Reporter allows the person responsible to report on their activities an option to see look aheads from one to ten days, whatever he/she wants.
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Dear Guest,

As already mentioned grouping (using codes) and having a page break defined in the organize function the number of sheets per attendee/supervisor can be reduced to one or two. In advance they can be given a complete set for reference. If your supervisors have foreman the report can be further broken down and by the end of the shift/day collected. If the report contains a couple of "blank" columns for adding progress as well as start and finish date the system is complete. In the past I combined this progress reporting procedure with barcodes printed in the columns. This speeded up progress entry and got me a full report whitin approx. 1 1/2 hours.

Good luck,

Ed van der Tak
ARAM Planning Consultants
The Netherlands
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Shutdown and Turnaround projects in refineries and petrochemical plants are very demanding.

We recommend updating progress and schedules every shift. Shift schedules should be filtered for each supervisor. They dont want to wade through 30 sheets of paper any more than you want to print (and copy?) them.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 days ago. Offline
Dear Guest:

Could you expand on your case?
What is the time window of information on your lookahead reports?
Do these 30-40 pages include activities that belong to all the 30 persons mentioned? Why dont you make one report to each responsible person?
What is the procedure you use for distributing your reports and collecting progress information?
You mean useless in what sense? Because of the number of pages or why?

Tomas Rivera