Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Physical % complete of overall plan

3 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Morning all, 

If I add the column Physical % complete, is there a reason it won't show me that percentage on the top line as it does with schedule % complete etc?  Is there a way to make it do so or is it a calculation problem that causes it?

Thanks, 

Thom

Replies

Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Cheers guys, I think I was hoping for something allowing me to input the physical % complete for each task and have it give an overall figure at the top.

I know it does it for Schedule % complete but so much of our work takes place later in the plan it would be inaccurate. 

I may try activity % complete though, thanks Zoltan amazing as always.

Cheers

Thom

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Thomas,

Aside from the software, a physical  % measure of an entire project would be difficult to determine. When considering a single aspect of work, eg, metres of piping, or cubic volume of spoil, you have a very tangible measure of physical progress. But what if your project consisted of both piping and spoil?

In those cases you need  a common denominator for measuring the effort. This is the method that Earned Value adopts, but using common denominators of Manhours of work, or cost in Dollars, as these can be equally applied to both type of work and then aggregated to give overall project % complete.

The above is one reason why when using physical % complete in P6, it wont aggregate at a group level.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

try actviity % Complete or schedule % complete