Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Which smart features of P3 do you miss?

6 replies [Last post]
Erdem Uysal
User offline. Last seen 10 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

I have been using P6 since 2008 but I still miss some smart features of P3.  My favorite two is below. What is yours?

- Floating successor, predessor and recources windows.

- Smart keyboard shortcut keys which lets you navigate, input and check the data through the programme quickly.

Replies

william chee
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

in P6 the feature LOE (activity type) is same with hammock.  I missed "zero total float" and floating windows in P3.  Key in data is a lot faster in P3 compare to P6.

Hi Mimoune,

what is the option of hammock  between two activities that was lost in the transition?

Regards,

Vladimir

mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

the resource usage profile was much better in P3, a lot of different combinations in resource histogram were possible. the option of hammock  between two activities was lost in the transition.

It does not look like people miss something serious.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Erdem

Its not smart as such but the ability to put a different colour on each task was an essential element dropped by P6.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Joe Robertson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

For me it has to be target comparisons. I'm not a fan of how P6 "swallows" what I declare to be the baseline. It's hard for me to picture Primavera debating this feature and deeming it an improvement over P3's method.

But I will agree with you about the floating windows. I have dual monitors and it hurts my productivity to cram so much on 1 screen.