Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Madrid Metro Rail Programme

19 replies [Last post]
Maninder Gogia
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Kindly requesting to all readers: please help me to get the Madrid metro rail schedule with the Assumptions behind it.

Regards,

Replies

Sameer Khandalkar
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Dear Samer,

I am looking for information on any metro rail project, information like Challenges for metro project, best practices for contracting, procurement, planning, construction, design, execution methodology, construction methodology, etc...,

Please help in finding this information.

Thanks

Regards

Sameer Khandalkar

Sameer Khandalkar
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Dear Samer,

I am looking for information on any metro rail project, information like Challenges for metro project, best practices for contracting, procurement, planning, construction, design, execution methodology, construction methodology, etc...,

Please help in finding this information.

Thanks

Regards

Sameer Khandalkar

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Maninder,

Since you are working in Spain, you might be interested in attending this FREE workshop:

"
PROJECT MANAGEMENT FORUM PRINCE2 - 4th EDITION

Following the success of previous editions, QRP International organizes this year fourth edition of the Forum PRINCE2 Project Management in Spain.
In this Forum, the companies and professionals will gather to share their experiences in managing projects and programs with the PRINCE2 method and other methods "Best Practice" ITIL and MSP.

FREE EVENT
Date: June 9, 2010

To download the registration form Click here

For more information send an e-mail @ qrpmmi.es ermalda.prendi

-----------------------------------------------------

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

This is similar to a shut down when you have an operation. All the resources must be available for dismantling the old and installing the new within shut down period. These are good projects.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Maninder

I worked on programming the cabling replacement of the London Underground.

The unique feature was that there was no critical path. Just isolated sections of work when "possession" was granted.

The real problem was keeping the allocated work gangs fully occupied - I described the process as "herding cats".

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Maninder,

Is this an IT or Construction Project? We googled the title to understand what you are talking about.

Can you give us a small description of the project, we can assist more in creating the LEVEL 1: Milestone Schedule.

With kind regards,

Samer
Maninder Gogia
Guys Any one working on Metro Madrid Signalling upgrade project. Please let me know
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Anoon,

It depends on the project and the requirements and the project management system that you have in place.

In essence, always keep it simple. The higher the meeting, the less paper you take. In general, try to have everything on one piece of paper; scope, time, cost, changes, etc.

Shop drawing is the 1st building block after mobilization. Actually, for mobilization, you need to submit you site layout with all the services and take approval as well. So the project starts with drawings, and ends with the As Built drawings an the quality manuals.

Shop drawings are part of the Program of Works of the Contractor, and it is up to the Contractor to determine when they are going to submit them for approval before execution.

With kind regards,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Samer,

Sorry for my curiousity (I just want to know what they are really talking up there?), I thought these are limited to Scope and ROI (return of investments), never thought about drawings.

Oh by the way, isn’t shop drawings were just derivations from contract drawings?

So on which stage of a project shop drawings occur or necessary?

Best regards
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Anoon,

It depends on the time of the project. During the Initial stages, all you talk about is drawings, material submittals, and procurement. Construction activities will be limited.

Further down the line, they become less important because you should have completed them, and because most of the manpower is on Construction Activities. Hence, progress is driven by activities.

I keep it in every progress meeting and in every monthly report or high management level meeting. It is a key indicator, and hopefully it will be on the high side.

With kind regards,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Samer,

Just a side question (if I may), Are "shop drawings" normally discussed in high level discussions (i.e. board meetings)?

Best regards
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Maninder,

Each project is unique. You need to look at the drawings and the BOQs. But for the sake of high level you can start with the following:

A. Shop Drawings
B. Material Submittals
C. Procurement
D. Construction
Infrastructure
I. Civil
1. Cut and fill
2. Bedding
3. Structural Steel

Mechanical
Piping/ all systems

Electrical
Conduits and Cables all systems
Final Fix all systems

Buildings
1. Substructure
2. Superstructure
3. Finishing
4. Commissioning.

With kind regards,

Samer
Maninder Gogia
Thanks once again...
Madrid Metro has upgraded signalling system/Infrastructure with new Trains. All i am looking from planning prospective is a baseline programme or very highlevel programme and the basic assumption behind it.
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

This is another great example that you do not need a tool to control and monitor your project.

Pen and paper is more than enough in 1919. Ninety years later, it is still being used.

If they built it using pen and paper, they can build the extension using pen and paper.

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Maninder,

Are you talking about the below project.
"
Madrid Metro Extension - Railway Technology - The latest project, and perhaps highest profile, is the new underground extension of Line 8 to Barajas Airport. The €52m project to add a further 2.5km to ...

www.railway-technology.com/projects/madrid/
"

A project this size would have at least 1 senior planner with 2 junior planner to collect the information.

Primavera is a tool. Before using the tool you need to read the Contract documents; BOQs, Drawings, and Condition of Contract and determine the deliverables. You start with the building blocks then you build your program of works.

We can provide you with all the help you need regarding how to construct, develop, maintain, and deliver your job successfully. Seems like an interesting project.

1. Did you read the BOQ?
2. Did you read the Conditions of Contract?
3. Did you review the drawings?

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Maninder

It is unlikely that any PP member has a fully linked schedule of the construction of the Madrid Metro.

If he did it is almost certainly not for distribution to outsiders.

Furthermore it would not be on P3 because the Madrid Metro
was planned long before such things were available - sometime in 1919.

Best Regards

Mike Testro
Maninder Gogia
Guys! Thanks for showing your interest, to help me.
BTW, on planning planet website (from planners community) i am looking for primavera programme.

Any littel help is appreciable.
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

Nice response.

Just as well Maninder didn’t ask for a network time schedule for UK trains - they are all over the place and impossible to schedule.

I think what he really wants is someone to write his thesis for him.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Maninder,

I have to ask for so many questions to answer your question.

But just for fun, here is the web site from google:
"
http://www.madrid-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/transport-in-madrid.html

Timetable Information For Transport In Madrid
This page gives you links to official websites for transport in Madrid. Timetable information changes frequently so it is best to check out these links before travelling to ensure that you have the most accurate information. Most pages are available in many languages, and are updated regularly. Where no website is available, you will find the telephone number. All the different types of transport in Madrid are covered here.
"

Now please explain what is it that you are asking for?

With kind regards,

Samer