Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 PRMBATCH Error During Leveling

4 replies [Last post]
William Varsel
User offline. Last seen 14 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Wow, I hope someone can help me with this. I keep getting a "PRMBATCH" error when I level my project. It goes through the sorting, scheduling and part of the leveling before I get this error message. It then tells me PRMBATCH caused a General Protection Fault, Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 12 min ago. Offline
Bill

What version of P3 are you using, P3, v 3.1 SP-3 or a previous version?

Do you have older versions of the project file you can check to see if the same behavior happens when leveling.

If it does not happens across different versions we can suspect we have an issue with data corruption on the last project files only. If it does repeats then we might have an issue with the software or the registry and maybe all job files are ok.

You can also try copying the Projects folder into a USB drive and see what happens at other PC with a P3 installation. Open the jobs without transferring all the files into the other PC as to avoid overwriting network files and any other file not job specific.

Anything better than pulling your hair out.

Cordially,
Rafael
William Varsel
Rafael,

Ran both PFXW and PRMMEND and still have the same problem. I am about to pull my hair out! I have a 2700 line item schedule with 120,000 MH’s and can’t level my resources!
Thanks for the suggestion though. I was not aware of those two diagnostic/fix programs.

Bill
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 12 min ago. Offline
Have you tried with the Project File Recovery Program usually available under C:\P3WIN\P3PROGS and named PFXW.EXE?

From the help file:

Project data files may be damaged by improper termination of the program, rebooting the system while files are open, and disruption or fluctuation of power. Symptoms of damaged data files vary due to the unpredictable nature of the problem. The most common indications of damaged data files are apparent loss of data (for example, all or some activities disappear from the project) and/or inability to retain newly added activities or relationships. Other types of damage may occur which are not apparent to the user, or which may not become apparent immediately.

The Project File Recovery Program dialog box contains a choice for repairing all the data files contained in a Primavera Project Planner (P3) or Finest Hour project. The program extracts all recoverable data from the original file and writes it to a new data file record by record.

Another thing occurs to me although I have never used this utility is to search under PRMBATCH to see if the directory for your Batch Files is the correct one.

You can find PRMBATCH under C:\P3WIN\P3PROGS

Best regards,
Rafael
William Varsel
Just wanted to add that I recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 3. Does anyone know if this may be contributing to my problem?