Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Export-import

7 replies [Last post]
Suraj Bhatt
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi!
I want to export the schedule data into exel from P3 and then make some changes in activity codes etc. ,and then import it back to P3 with changes overwritten.
How is it possible??
Thanks in advance
Suraj

Replies

Dear all,

I have problem in importing xer p6 file.

Error occur "CVRCU-1939-9  Default value  provided for field ev_compute_type is not valid"

Waiting for your inputs.

COCOY

James Saldigor
User offline. Last seen 12 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rollen Lopez,
I followed your step by step instruction, and it works just fine, now i need to practise it with .dbf or whatever as Philip suggested also.
Thanks for both of you guys. good help..

Cheers,
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Suraj,

It is simple, but always export via the .DBF format. These .dbf files are readily read by excel, make your changes, open a new spreadsheet in evcel, copy the modified file in there, and save it as a new .dbf in excel, I suggest always dbf v3.Then go back to primavera P3 and import the files. Export and import is both in the tools/project utilities menu. The point is never go any other route than the dbf route, as you are working in databases, the lotus route is full of pitfalls, as is the asci route.
Suraj Bhatt
Dear Rollen Lopez !
Thanks a ton.That was of great help.

Regards
Suraj
Rollen Lopez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Suraj Bhatt,

Importing and exporting files in P3.

First arrange your P3 screen accordingly and make sure you display the columns of the activity codes you need to update or modify.
From tools – project utilities – select export and in the export dialog box select “add”

In the content tab – select all the contents you want to export to excel file and don’t forget to include “activity codes” which I believe you wanted to modify.

Create a new export item by clickin “add” and name accordingly.

In the format tab you’ll see this

C:\P3WIN\P3OUT\P3 - this is by default or just rename according to your preference or to make it more consistent, make it as the filename as your current P3 programme revision..

select [.WKS] – LOTUS 123 – this format makes it possible to open with excel.

Then click run (take note that you have the p3.wks file already saved in C:\P3WIN\P3OUT\P3.wks

Now open this file in excel and edit all your activity codes and once its done, save it.

Go back to your P3 screen and from tools-project utilities select import create a new import item by clicking add and type the location of your .wks file saved in excel. That is

C:\P3WIN\P3OUT\P3.WKS and click run.-select view on screen, you will see p3 look will open showing your activities updated.

Just click ok and close import dialog box and select "yes" to rerun current filter

Then your P3 programme is updated.

Note: it is advised that back-up your files and make a try-out with process so you get familiar with how it works as you will be involved with multiple screens, (e.g. P3. P4 Look, Windows explorer, Excel, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Suraj Bhatt
Thanks Jose!
I am aware about RA but have not used it.I believe that we get it free download from internet.I will try locating it and will see if it is of help.
Regards,
Suraj
Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

For that you have RA.
RA is a utility software distributed with Primavera but it is not installed automatically.

You have to locate RA directory in Primavera CD and copy it to your PC.

It allows a lot of manipulations (like the ones you mentioned) in Excel.

Hope it helped.
JMFrade