Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is primavera P5 more friendly users than P3

7 replies [Last post]
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
I am a user of primavera p3 but i heard that there is a new version in the market today which is the p5. May i know if this tools is much more frienly users than the older version p3. how it differs in terms of simplicity in inputs and reports presentation . Is any out there familiar with it?
regards.. Uly

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Primavera has re-brand their products. "Primavera 5.0" is used.
Currently, the offer from Primavera is if you are still working on P3, you are entitle free upgrade (16 bit software to 32 bit software) subject you still have valid maintainence.

Primavera Contractor, at this moment, is a lite version of P3e/c.

More information available on Primavera webinar website (4 presentations)
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Uly

I definitely agree with Alex & Steven. It is NOT an upgrade of P3 v3.1.

If you want to know more about P3e v5.0 I suggest you have to have one and explore it coz user friendliness doesn’t come with the package... your knowledge on how to approach & use this tools will tell you if it is friendly or not..

Cheer!
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
The upgrade path being offered by Primavera Systems is from P3 V3.1 to P3e/c Version 5.0, as P3 will not run on the next generation of Microsoft operating systems. P3e/c Version 5.0 is being referred to by some people as P5.

Compared to other tools that I have used, I find P3 the easiest to use and simplest to understand when scheduling at the high end such as updating a resourced schedule. I think MSP is simple to use for basic scheduling but becomes very time consuming and difficult at the high end, but people have to be very careful and understand the options so they do not get caught out. There is a lot more in P3e/c than P3 and it has a completely different user interface. There are many more options in P3e/c which need to be understood to successfully status a resourced schedule and also has a large range of add on tools to choose from.

I would therefore think that people will initially have a bit of difficulty moving from P3 to P3e/c as it is not an upgraded product but a completely different product. But like all tools once you have learnt it and understand what it can do and not do then there should be no problems.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
ulysses

I think Steven is right, there is no such things as P5,

P3 V3.1 or P3e V5.0

HTH

Alex
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Beg to differ, but P3 will not ever be upgraded.

Latest release of P3e is version 5. Primavera Contractor is not an upgrade to P3e, it is a completely seperate product, similar to the way P3/SureTrak were marketed.

If you are still unsure, have a look at www.primavera.com

ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
I refer to p3 for sure. because the upgrade for p3e is primavera engineering contractor whereas the upgrade for primavera P3 is P5 . Is there any out there who’s familiar with it about primavera p5. tell me the advantages. thanks
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
I think that you are referring to P3e version 5.