Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Doubt in progress control w/P3

4 replies [Last post]
PRIMI TABUNOT
User offline. Last seen 18 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi guys, wish to know why do you submit two progress information to client consultant, one is the P3 update which is submitted to planning engineer (includes bar chart, progress, "S" curve) and the other one is a database based on the bid items for payment purposes which is submitted to quantity surveying and/or contract administration dept. What’s the relation of both??? Could anyone clarify this please??? Many thanks. Cheers!!!

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Primi

I think the two reports that you (the contractor) submitted need to tell the same story. Meaning - they need to be sharing the same information. And these two report serving two different purposes

Your P3 report combine three dimensions, Time, Scope (Physical) and Cost. Which give a series of indicator to the "Client" how you perform.

The Accounting report give $ information - meaning - cash flow forecast - billing - Variation Cost, Cost @ completion ...

These two report need to be hand in hand with their own specific functions.
Ie when a number of transformers deliver to site, in your accounting report it shows the value of the transformers in site delivered. But that report cannot show how many actually installed and whether it is in accordance with the plan. That information can be found in P3 progress report. However, your P3 report may not able to articulate exact value of the TX.

Thats why the two reports are needed in order to see the true picture of the project. However, in some organisation I worked, senior management only interested in $ spend but not progress, I guess it is our task to educate them.

Cheers

ALex
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Your question why consultant wanted two reports as what you said. in my own idea the primavera will do less better compares to accounting matters . I mean p3 cannot do accurately what the accounting software can, in terms of costings , for me a good planner must know also what is the terms in accounting and how it works..
regards
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
PRIMI
Normally it works like this.
The contract has a schedule of pricing, and a payment program relative to the schedule of pricing.

2. As a planning engineer, you weight this schedule and incorporate into your schedule of work.
3. Then resource load the schedule or on a excel spreadsheet,progress the schedule of pricing.
4. and then simply advise with a simple tabular spreadsheet
of your prorgess relative to the required reporting times in the contract to the money people for pregressing payment.
And do not forget payment of any relative changes.

cheers bill
Katalin Hovanyi
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Haliho Primi,
According my opinion, the money guys not able to read the schedule. They simple not trained to do that and their pride (and position) prevent them to ask questions (or learn from You). So they instruct You to use their way of reporting.
Regards
Katalin