Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual Progress Percentage

2 replies [Last post]
Rajeev Kumar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
what is the best way to find/calculate actual percentage? I could use planned percentage as the time percentage completed of the target project. but for calculating the actual percentage, is it absolutely necessary that i input all resources and track them(input actual resource usage data). i guess thats a tedious task especially when you are reporting weekly for a large project(4000 activities). further if such a thing is possible, can i show both these percentages on the bars and get some meaningful inference?
My project is an electrical one, where we are required to wire, install panels, terminate(connect), label wires, label panels, install sockets, outlets, detectors and finally commission etc. i have now inputed manpower in it, but that does not give a correct picture of the progess.

folks, any help is appreciated.
Thanx for listening.

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rajeev!

Three things you need to understand.

1. Planned or BCWS (Budgeted Cost for Work Scheduled) is the value of work (in dollars) you have planned to accomplish as of today (data date).

2. Accomplishment or BCWP (Budgeted Cost for Work Performed) is the value of work (in dollars) that has actually been performed or accomplished as of today (data date).

3. Actual Cost or ACWP (Actual Cost for Work Performed) is how much you actually spent to accomplish what you did. This is where you measure how much you paid for materials installed, salaries and wages of workers, etc.

This leads us to analyze two critical things:
A. Are we on schedule? Simply compare (1) and (2).
B. Are we overbudget? Simplay compare (2) and (3).

The best case is when (2) BCWP is greater than either (1) BCWS or (3) ACWP.

For more enlightenment, grab a book about Earned Value Analysis.

Best regards,

Jorge P3 Taguinod
Crown Systems (Philippines)
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
Again you will find an article on my web page on titled Practicle Application of Earned Value Performance Measurement on my web page, which shows you some techiques I use.

Regards

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris