Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource & Cost Form

5 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
My schedule is not cost loaded and the only item that require to be encoded and monitored are the bill of quantity and the corresponding manhours to complete the activity. Is it okay to encode the bill of quantity in the resource form then encode the manhour figures in the cost form so I can be able to display 2 different columns in the project layout (one for bill of quantity and the other for the manhours)? If I include manhours in the resource form the quantities for the bill of quantity and manhours are added in one budget quantity unless you organize by resource thats why I placed the manhours in the cost form just to separate the values. Is there any problem with this method in tracking progress for BOQ and manhours? All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Replies

Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Better to make a unique code for your resource (i.e. Q??? for quantity , and L??? Labor manday /manhours) so that you can filter it easily using ranges of resources..
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Instead of organizing by resource, you may want to take advantage of cost categories where you can designate a character for each category, such as L for labor, M for materials, etc.

Try this...
1. Setup you cost categories (Data, Cost Accounts). No need to fill out the cost accounts area since youre not managing costs.

2. Whenever you load a resource in the resource detail form, specify a cost category.

3. Next time you organize, organize by Cost Category.
If this is not acceptable to you (because you want 2 columns displayed per activity), then you could use 2 CDIs and Global Change to place Manhours and BOQ in different fields or columns.

Please let me know if you need detailed steps in doing these steps.

Mohamed Gebriel
User offline. Last seen 10 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi again,

As long as you wont be assigning any unit/price to resources and you will deal with resources as BOQ qauntities only , you wont have any conflicts from the cost point of view. The only minor side effect would be all predefined reports which are originally made for cost will show nothing concerning cost, but will actually be showing man.hours. If you utilize the cost account coding system and maybe make use of the hierarchical system to create a hierarchical structure of different labor types if it is required to differentiate the man.hours. So, I think the only disadvantage would be the display of currency figures on the cost charts which youll use for man.hour charting. Good luck anyway.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohammed, Actually I have already tried the CDI in encoding the manhours but as what you have said you cannot chart the manhours which is very important in my case as I have to generate manhour loading. This is the reason why I encoded the manhours in the cost form instead of including it in the resource form where I have encoded the bill of quantities. Furthermore, if I use CDI changes in the manhours will not be reflected automatically. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to receive comments on using the cost form for manhours if there are potential problems with this method.
Mohamed Gebriel
User offline. Last seen 10 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

If you need to monitor quantities as per your BOQ and at the same time monitor manhours expended for each item, then maybe as a more simple and direct method u can create a numeric CDI(custom data item) on the activity level by the name of(man.hours) then allocate the units on your activities. As for showing both columns at the same time, you may easily show the CDI man.hours column in addition to the resource quantities. Take into consideration though that you wont be able to chart the man.hours.

I hope this may solves your problem.