Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Performance % Complete

3 replies [Last post]
Heather Hadley
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 47 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi!

So in order to be able to earn at a higher level WBS for % Complete, I have cost loaded activities at a higher level WBS that are broken down into activities at a lower level.  Example - Construction WBS with 4 activities - Piping, Electrical, Civil, Structural.  These 4 activities hold the budgets for our interaction with our cost program.  However, I created lower level WBS, example, Piping in East Building, Piping in West Building and in those lower level WBS, I have specific activities.  I am using Performance % complete in order to use the roll up of the progress to transfer to the progress on the higher level , cost loaded activities.

Problem is that the Performance % Complete is not rolling up on these lower levels.In one of the lower level WBS, I have 4 activities - 3 at 100% complete and 1 at 95% complete but yet the WBS is showing 0%.

Activities at the lower level have a $1 resource attached.

What am I missing?

TIA

Heather

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 50 min ago. Offline

yuo could create a new alctivity and give it the activity type as wbs summary 

Heather Hadley
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 47 min ago. Offline

Thanks Zoltan for this!  My follow up question is what do I need to make sure is included in the resource assignment to have it show as a summary on the WBS band?  I have resources assigned to all activity but no units because I don't want to double up on the $$ vaule in my schedule since the activity at the higher level WBS is holding the $$

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 50 min ago. Offline

Performance Percent Complete for the activity is based on Units Percent Complete. Activities without a Resource curve assigned to one or more of the Resource Assignments will use the Activity percent complete

so 100%+100%+100%+95%=395% 

or  =$1+$1+$1+.95=$3.95 ?

Summary Performance percent complete when displayed on an organize band, will ALWAYS be calculated as (BCWP • 100) divided by Budget at completion regardless of what earned value technique is selected for the activity's WBS. 

so =$1+$1+$1+.95=$3.95*100=$395/$400=$98.75