Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Explosing Planning 0 vs Sequential signoff reviews

8 replies [Last post]
Lorenzo Cecchini
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I'm Project Manager in a large organisation with fragmented tools and fragmented approaches.

I'm looking for a tool which can:

- highlight the Project phases (PMI model for example, Initiation, Design etc.) on a quarterly basis

- highlight more details by collapsing or exploding the Project phases (Design --> Basic Engineering, Detail etc)

- highlight milestones and signoff reviews (for example, Process Risk analysis signoff, P&Id signoff, Project Risk assessment signoff, Scope signoff, Resource planning signoff...)

- highlight dependencies between the signoff reviews to create logical and sequential paths to attend the objective, for example the submission of a capital proposal

any idea P L E A S E ??????

I'm struggling with Excel creating images on spreadsheet but it's not dynamic, I need flexibility for changing milestones during steering meetings.

Thank you,

Lorenzo

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

p6 can be used I have used it for billing also 

Zoltan Palffy

p6 can be used I have used it for billing also 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline

I do not believe Primavera will be able to deal with the most basic financial resource constraining in a dynamic way.

It can be further complicated if Doubly constrained  financial resources are constrained on a periodic basis as well as for the total individual project duration. An example is a total budget with an extra restriction of a maximum limit per period.

The following is a simple case for financial resources where funds become available as some work is performed and billed. It just consider the basic initial cash flow issue.

If expanded to consider investment revenue Primavera will not give you the parameters such as IRR, MIRR, Payback Period and a few others much needed for investment analysis. 

You will end up stuck with a fragmented approach unless you use a more advanced tool.

Zoltan Palffy

then buy it or use microsoft proejct ANY cpm based software will work 

Lorenzo Cecchini

Thank you,

Primavera not available in my organisation unfortunately

Lorenzo Cecchini

Thank you,

not available in my organisation unfortunately

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline

You mentioned the need of a tool to:

1. highlight the Project phases 
  2. collapsing or exploding the Project phases 
  3. highlight milestones and signoff reviews
  4. highlight dependencies
  5. consider resources-related criteria
  6. consider risc-related criteria
  7. to attend the objective, for example the submission of a capital proposal
  8. to avoid fragmented approaches

The first five items can be handled with most CPM tools. 

There are different types of criteria (Frame, 2003) which are used to evaluate and prioritize the portfolio components, such as: • financial criteria; • technical criteria; • risc-related criteria; • resources-related criteria (human resources, equipment etc.); • contractual conditions criteria; • experience and other qualitative criteria. 

In order for your tool to avoid fragmented approaches it should be able to create CPM based dynamic financial models with financial constraints.  It shall use the same engine to calculate risk criteria considering all constraints within same software.  It shall give you the financial parameters such as net present value, IRR, MIRR, and payback period.  Very few CPM tools provide for such financial models.  If you choose the wrong tool you might very well end up still using fragmented approaches. 

Please click on the following link for a presentation on how more advanced tools such as Spider Project can satisfy all your requirements without the need of fragmented approaches.

Zoltan Palffy

the only thing in the world that is dynamic and time based sensititive is a cpm schedule. Use Primavera to do this.