Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Change Order Impact Study

4 replies [Last post]
Ahmad AbdRabou
User offline. Last seen 1 year 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

In my project I've "revised baseline" Dated 31-05-2017 and "recovery schedule" Dated 20-01-2018, updates are applied on the recovery schedule. Now, I've few change orders that I need to study thier impact and decide the EOT the Contractor deserves.

which one should I use and why, the revised baseline or the recovery schedule?

Clarification: the "recovery schedule" has the same end date and budget of the "revised baseline".

Thanks

A. AbdRabou.

Replies

Kathy Castle
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Mike,

Baseline schedule lost its validity for that reason the client asked to create a recovery plan which takes place of the baseline. Once the recovery approved, it must be used as a new baseline because it drops past issues (concurrent delays, contractor caused delays etc.)

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Kathy I disagree with your opinion that the recovery schedule should be used for the baseline in delay analysis. It may just be a target programme set by the contractor to avoid LAD's. Ahmed tells us that both the programmes end on the same date which means that the logic and/or task durations are different. In any case any form of impact on a critical path will give theoretical results and should be avoided. Best regards Mike Testro
Kathy Castle
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ahmad,

If your recovery schedule is approved by the client officially, you should use this one. Because the recovery is the latest one which includes all the changes and the delays in the past. If you need to make a forensic schedule delay analysis, I recommend you to read this methods https://www.projectcubicle.com/forensic-schedule-delay-analysis/

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Ahmed. Which one are you using to monitor current progress? A "recovery schedule" indicates that there are already delays on the project. If you add delays caused by change orders to a programme already delayed by the contractor then you are giving him the benefit of his own delays. This is always a problem when impacting delay events on a theoretical critical path which may be different in the two programmes. If you use a Projected As Built method then the inherent problem is solved. You can download the method from my website www.expertdelayanalysis.com for £35.00 Best regards Mike Testro