Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating baselines with multiple open projects

3 replies [Last post]
Alexander Kirakosyan
User offline. Last seen 5 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I am having trouble understanding how the baseline updating works when multiple projects are opened at the same time. 

I want to batch export data on several projects. After opening all the projects, when I want to reassign the baseline, it only allows me to reassign/update only one of the projects baseline. Shown below:

baseline_1.png

Even if I try to change the project and then change the baseline and rerun the schedule, it still picks the default project and baseline. So, I have several questions:

1. If I have multiple projects opened at the same time, how does reassigning baseline works. If it only allows me to change baselines for one project, how does it impact the remaining project baselines? Does p6 recalculate other projects' schedules based on their individual most recent baselines, or keep calculating with baselines that were assigned when these projects were opened individually.

2. How does this process take place when I have projects with different baseline data dates?

3. If I want to create a report for multiple projects with with most recent baselines, do I have to open them individually and reassign/update baselines individually and run a report? Or there is a way to run a batch report with all of projects having their baselines updated to the most recent data dates?

Many thanks!

Replies

Alexander Kirakosyan

Zoltan, thanks for your response!

Can you please provide more details on what you meant? 

In general, I need to understand what is the underlying logic that P6 has when I have multiple projects opened and pick one the project's baseline as my Primary baseline. How does that impact the other project baselines?

Thanks!

Alexander Kirakosyan

Zoltan, thanks for your response!

Can you please provide more details on what you meant? 

In general, I need to understand what is the underlying logic that P6 has when I have multiple projects opened and pick one the project's baseline as my Primary baseline. How does that impact the other project baselines?

Thanks!

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 18 hours ago. Offline

just open 1 project if you need other baselines copy the baseline and use it for the other project