Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Labour and Non Labour Unit

4 replies [Last post]
SHAREEQUE AC
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Please help on the Query related to Labour units and non labour units
If I have a particular activity X which can be done with labour as well as machine (e.g.: excavation)
If I have to do same quantity of that activity with labour as well as machine, how can assign labour and non labour units. Because labour may take 10hrs to do that activity where as machine will do in an hour. So there will be different weightage for same activity ..

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

For need specified person to execute the task, this person is a Labour Type resource, so 10 workers will have 10 resouce items created.

For need specified machine to execute the task, are machines are in a Non-Labour Type resource.

If no need to care who are specified (or specified machine) for the piece of works, then the resource type will be "Material"

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

You asked "If I have to do same quantity of that activity with labour as well as machine, how can assign labour and non labour units". I answered this question. But if the question is what do I use manual labor or a machine I guess that depends on the number of machimes that you have an the number of bodies that you have amd how many of the same type activites are being worked concurrently.  

I understood the question different way. An activity can be done by people in 10 hours OR by machine (excavator) in 1 hour.

But I did not understand the question itself. If it was about selecting an alternative assignment (use people if an excavator is busy, select the cheapest way of resource assignment, etc.) or what?

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

just create 2 resources one labor and one for non labor. The problem lies in where that 1 hour within the 10 hours will be utilized. This is important becasue when the 1 hour is expended this freezs up the machine so that it can be used on another activity. The way to control this is to determine typically when the  1 hour would be used within the 10 hours then assign a resource curve on that resouces based on when the 1 hour will be expended.