Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Monitoring Remaining Planned Costs

No replies
Naur Altaibayev
User offline. Last seen 7 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding planned costs for future periods.

Example (please correct my procedure if i do something wrong):

At start: 

Activity with original duration of 2 months costs 1000.

Planned cost by default is Month 1 - 500, Month 2 - 500. Baseline saved.

After month 1. 

Actual cost is 200 only, also Contractor asks for extention, so I extend duration at completion to 3 months. Original remains as 2 months.

I Update progress for past month, then I Save actual performance of 200 in financial period 1. Baseline saved.

After month 2. 

Actual cost is 200, but Contractor promises to finish it on time (end of Month 3).

I Update progress for past month, then I Save actual performance of 200 in financial period 1. However, after updating progress Activity status automatically changes to Completed in Month 2 (as it was initially planned). But I don't want it, besides I want to see planned cost for Month 3, which is now shown as 0.

I think that both issues related to original duration. So I cancel completion status, and extend original duration so it is equal to Duration at completion (not sure of this).

Planned costs now changed: Month 1 - 333, Month 2 - 333, Month 3 - 333. 

But we know that Cumulative Actual cost for Month 1 and 2 is 400, and  at this point by logic in Month 3 Planned cost must be remaining cost =Planned-Actual=1000-400=600. But it is seen from Planned costs that Month 3 is just 333. 

So, what do I do wrong?

1. Can I change original duration? Do I have to do this when I use Update Progress?

2. How to see correct remaining Planned cost for future period? 

3. What technique should I use  in this case - Update Progress or something else?

Thanks in advance!